Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Lab SP: 10 Downing Street
[Image: 1dcac42e76fb921eff46213c5f068ad5.jpg]
The Prime Minister arrives at No 10
Downing Street after meeting the Queen.

Thank you.

I just returned from the Palace where Her Majesty The Queen invited me to form a government in her name and I accepted.

For the past several weeks, I stood behind a simple message that together we can change Britain for the better. While this is perhaps a little more “together” than I imagined, we will get on with it.

The 2019 election returned a Parliament that is deeply divided. For the first time in our history, both parties faced the task of assembling governing coalitions that contained at least five political parties. The time we face in the United Kingdom is unprecedented. The message that the people of the United Kingdom sent is clear: they want politicians to work together.

And work together we shall.

I did not intend to enter office in this manner. No leader does. However, it is with a clear sense of purpose that we move forward. The only majority in the country and in Westminster is for a referendum on any deal that is negotiated with the European Union. The only majority in the country and in Westminster is against a disastrous no deal Brexit. We will deliver the referendum that people voted for. And I will stand firmly behind the deal that is negotiated.

As we negotiate this deal, we will ensure the protection of our union: both in the deal and outside of it. There will be no borders between the nations of the United Kingdom under any Brexit deal. Just as importantly, there will be no division of our union by other means while I serve as Prime Minister. There are those who question my belief in our union, let me be clear: there will be no turning on my commitment to see the union protected. There will be no independence referendums, no deals that leave any part of the union left behind, no agreements that threaten our hard-earned peace.

Today, it is vital that the work of government continue. The British people need and demand a functioning government. That is what we will provide. All parties in this government committed to combating climate change, to ending a decade of austerity, to building an economy that works for all Britons, to giving the people their say on Brexit. That is the programme that this government will see carried out. We will set to work immediately; we will not stop in our determination to see a more successful, more prosperous, more hopeful, more empowered nation than the one we inherited.

Another Prime Minister once stood here and recited a few words from the prayer of St Francis of Assisi. “Where there is discord, may we bring harmony…Where there is despair, may we bring hope.” Today, it is the spirit of these words that we need more than ever. The challenges we face are great, the task at hand is difficult. Yet what we have always known remains true: we are only as strong as we are united.

And no matter the standings in Westminster, we are a United Kingdom. The Scripture tells us that we are a city upon a hill, that we are a land filled with those that do good works and shine a light as an example to the world: the peacemakers, the merciful, the righteous, those in need of help and those free to lend their hand. We shall seek to deliver unto them a nation that we can be proud of: a nation more united, a nation with hope, and a nation that moved past the trials of today into the promise of tomorrow.

Now, if you will allow me, there is much to do and we really must be getting on.

The Prime Minister then entered 10 Downing Street.
Caroline Blakesley MP DCB
Prime Minister (June 2019-)
MP for Manchester Central (2015-) | Labour
Traits: Fundraising Extraordionare, Campaign Guru, Media Darling, Constituency Pariah
The Prime Minister looks resplendently Prime Ministerial. You rule out No Deal, you rule out independence referenda, you quote Thatcher in quoting Francis of Assisi(!), and you quote the Bible rather more than I was expecting you to. It's going to be a tough time cajoling this Government around, but the people believe you are better than the alternative at this time.
2xp