Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Press Cycle 6 - Queens Speech
Why is the Queen's Speech the best / worst thing ever (delete as appropriate)?

Closes 23:59 on the 24th April
As is becoming increasingly common for this Government, the most critical aspects of the Queen's Speech is what wasn't included within it. In this pivotal legislation moment, the Government failed to make any commitment to refuse a second Independence Referendum, failed to take Remain off the table, and failed to provide any timetable for when they will present their WA to the British people. At a time when our country needs clarity and certainty now more than ever, the Government has desperately failed to provide either. If this Government is genuinely committed to protecting our Union and refusing a second independence referendum, they should have said it. If they are truly committed to honoring the will of the people and getting Brexit done, they should have ruled out Remain even as an option. The Queen Speech is sorely lacking in concrete commitment to two of the most pressing issues before our country, two issues that speak to the core of our democratic institutions. This was a moment for the Government to commit to protecting and honoring Britain's democracy, and they've fumbled the ball.
William West MP - Conservative Party

Shadow Secretary of State for Exiting the European Union
MP for Ribble Valley (2015 - )
It seems that the Conservatives have long since given up on actually, y'know, conserving the constitution, but a little bit of politics education for them: the Queen's Speech is a list of what the government will do. It is not a list of what the government won't do.
Grant Smith
Liberal Democrat MP for Leeds North West (2005-present)

Media Unknown, Constituency Appeal, Campaign Organiser, Fundraiser Extraordinaire 
Previously: Sir Lachlan Domnhall Coinneach Duncan MacMahon; Graham Adiputera; I think I played some dull Labour bloke at one point
Perhaps the new Shadow Secretary for Education would benefit from a youths lesson about what the Queens Speech is and what it is not. Her Majesty's speech focused on the actions the government is taking, not the unending list of things we won't be. If Mr. Grey would like I will commit that we will not be spending government focus on training chickens to whistle, cows to milk themselves, or expanding children's education on the history of the FA. Rather we will be doing what we committed. Ending austerity. Addressing climate change, investing in the NHS. Perhaps the Tories should spend their time in their new seats getting comfortable and with the bemoaning and sour grapes
Labour MP for Tottenham
Media Darling/Backbench Favourite/Finite Resources
If the Deputy Prime Minister wants to talk about what the Government will do, then let's talk about it.

In the Queen's Speech, the Government announces their intention to abolish tuition fees. The abolition of tuition fees has been resoundingly proven as an ineffectual policy that does far more to support the wealthiest in society than it does to support poor students who are actually in need of assistance. In places where the policy has been implemented, as the Deputy Prime Minister's newfound friends in the SNP will know all too well, it has been an abject failure in reducing the cost of education for low income people. In a cross-nation study released in 2014, the Centre for Research in Education Inclusion found that while upper middle class families were benefited by the abolition of fees, overall costs for poor students in Scotland have increased by at last £32 million annually. The policy is, in the words of the study's lead researcher Lucy Blackburn, "the perfect middle-class, feel-good policy. It’s superficially universal, but in fact it benefits the better-off most, and is funded by pushing the poorest students further and further into debt.”

I think Ms. Blackburn's words could be used to properly summarize the whole of the Government's legislative agenda: a feel-good endeavor that appears great on paper but does very little good in practice. The Government is attempting to promise the world, and is hoping no one looks any further into what they're actually proposing. Policies like the abolition of tuition fees embody this strategy, creating a facade of progress and progressivism while in reality achieving virtually nothing for the people they intend to help. The British people deserve real, long term solutions when it comes to making university more affordable for all who want to attend, not flashy catch phrases that fail to truly deliver.

This is a government which will be good for Wolverhampton, and good for Britain. It is, to me, no shame that my party have taken on ideas from across the country and across Parliament to make sure that this Queen's Speech is the best I've seen since I've represented Wolverhampton South West. I'm fiercely proud to represent a city at the heart of the Midlands Engine, and when the Prime Minister - a Labour Prime Minister - talks of revitalising our public transport, and investing in green, sustainable, modern infrastructure, I know that places like ours are at the heart of government. I look forward to a revitalised Britain under this government, and especially to seeing the effects of both investment in our services & a reduced burden for local entrepreneurs.
Walter A. Mead MP
Minister for the Arts (2019-present)
MP for Wolverhampton South West (2015-present)
Blairite Progress, voted for Syrian Airstrikes
Constituency Appeal | Campaigning Guru | Maverick
I think we have got to face facts. This Queen's Speech has been about one thing and one thing only: the People's Vote. That's why ministers don't have answers to questions about anything else. This government is a fragile one, and I expect we will be heading back to the polls just as soon as Caroline and her crew get their second referendum out of the way. The Labour-led coalition are very clear about their intentions: the People's Vote is about having a second crack at the 2016 referendum because, in their minds, the people voted wrongly. Of course, the irony won't be lost on reasonable people that when they championed the great surrender that was the no-deal block, Labour criticized the Conservative government Conservative the day for having a "my way or the highway" approach. If there ever was a my way or the highway approach to Brexit, it is the government's People's Vote: either accept our deal, or accept being shackled to the EU indefinitely.

Edit: "Labour criticized the Conservative government Conservative the day" should read "Labour criticized the Conservative government of the day"
Rt. Hon. BARCLAY CALHOUN, PC, MP
New Forest West
Shadow SoS for Justice
Spartan Conservative
Media Darling | Campaign Guru | Socially Unaware
This Government will take the abolition of tuition fees seriously- and clearly the Tories are cherry-picking data where they can find it to support their abject failure to improve education in nearly ten years of Government. With tuition fees where they've been under Tory leadership, those who graduate see themselves saddled with £50,000 or more of debt before they have a chance to make any earnings. Tory policies have only exacerbated this. Job wage growth has been flat, so these graduates are entering a market with low-wage or insecure jobs. And a lack of housing options means instead of owning a home, those who take on debt are forced to pay higher and higher rents so there's even less hope of paying those loans back.

State schools are sending less and less students to university when tuition fees go up. If there's no better example of statistics- and actual cause-and-effect, it's that. By raising tuition fees, those who attend state schools are left behind. And the study that the Tories cite also notes there were other causes for increased costs to those on the lower ends of the spectrum as it relates to other grants which were also eliminated. Under our Government, we're going to make sure that the reduction in tuition fees is made up for by sustaining programs that benefit poorer students- unlike the uncaring Tories who treat so many in the United Kingdom as an "et cetera" to be dealt with later, we're going to make sure that we make it more affordable to attend university, and that we continue to support those who need it.
Alexander Milne MP
MP for Kirkcaldy and Cowdenbeath (2019-) | Labour
Chancellor of the Exchequer (2019-)
MP for Stirling (2010-2015)
Shadow Financial Secretary to the Treasury (2011-2015)
Media Unknown | Constituency Appeal | Campaigning Guru
Earlier this evening I spoke on the floor of the House of Commons to register my total opposition to the Government's legislative program introduced in the Queen's Speech. Chief among my concerns is the Government's intent to see to it that the will of the people is reversed, by legislating for an undemocratic People's Vote that will once again put Remain on the ballot. In 2016 the British people decided once and for all as to our relationship with the European Union: we are leaving. There is no confusion, no ambiguity, no uncertainty. Every person who loves and cares for this country's democracy recognizes this fact, and understands the irrevocable harm that will be done to our governing institutions and to the people's confidence in democracy if the result of the referendum is not honored. The Government is actively pursuing a policy that will see the will of the people ignored, dismissed, and reversed. The British people gave Westminster a job to do: organize and execute Britain's departure from the European Union. The Prime Minister has decided to shirk that duty. 

Someone must stand up for the future of British democracy. That person is normally the Prime Minister, but with her being adamant to see it undermined, it has become the Opposition's vital responsibility to see to it that the will of the people is done.

The Tories can keep saying that a People's Vote is undemocratic, but 55% of voters supported parties who backed a People's Vote. Just because you keep saying something doesn't make it true.
The Rt. Hon. Sir James C. McCrimmon OBE
MP for West Ham (2005-present)
Chairman of the Labour Party (2019-present)
Secretary of State for Transport and Infrastructure (2019-present)

Traits: Campaigning Guru, Backbench Favourite, Media Unknown