Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
PC9 - One Yorkshire
In a stereotypical Yorkshire accent
"What do you think of the agreement struck for a new devolution deal in Yorkshire?"

Deadline 23:59 on the 1 May
"I guess we'll see how it works out?" *shrugs*
I'm excited to see this deal for two reasons. One is, I am a strong believer in devolution. I think that investment strategies, local community regeneration decisions, cultural development plans, and those vital decisions about how to tackle poverty, seize opportunities and address regional challenges are best taken at the devolved level - moving power away from Westminster and into the hands of those who know the areas best. And I'm pleased to see this backed up with the funding, and the oversight, to work well. Secondly, though, I'm a Yorkshireman, born and bred. I've lived, studied and worked in Leeds for as long as I can remember. I am so excited to see my region getting the devolution deal it has needed for so long, and I'm excited to see devolution deals be rolled out, in tandem with local people, throughout the country.
Grant Smith
Liberal Democrat MP for Leeds North West (2005-present)

Media Unknown, Constituency Appeal, Campaign Organiser, Fundraiser Extraordinaire 
Previously: Sir Lachlan Domnhall Coinneach Duncan MacMahon; Graham Adiputera; I think I played some dull Labour bloke at one point
This Government has just signed the most wide-ranging and ambitious devolution deal for a Combined Authority in Yorkshire. I’m delighted that a Labour-led Government has worked with Conservative and Labour council leaders to deliver on significant new investment, powers, and public engagement for the county. We are putting the tools needed to seize inclusive prosperity in the hands of Yorkshire because they are best placed to come up with the tailored policies required. From renewable energy on the east coast, agritech in North Yorkshire, the creative industries in the west, and manufacturing in South Yorkshire, the first Mayor of Yorkshire will have the powers and investment to support them all.
Amelia Lockhart
Labour
MP for Hull North (2001 - )
Secretary of State for Economic Security and Local Growth (2020 - )

Traits: media darling, backbench favourite, finite resources 
"You know, I..." *trips on an uneven piece of the sidewalk and falls over* "Ow."

*Gets up and dusts himself off*

"Ok, I know the pavement here needs some work, but..."

*waves it off*

"Ah, where were we again? I've lost my train of thought. Completely lost it. Can we start over?"

*[Prompt from the questioner]*

"Right, right, Yorkshire. Look, the idea of regional government is a solid one, but there are a few question makes about the size of the assembly, scope, blah blah blah. This needs a bit more fleshing-out, and I think that - if we end up in a fresh election in a few days, as seems likely - we'll need to hash that out in the next Parliament."
Would be nice for the Tories to pretend to take this seriously rather than responding with a shrug.
Grant Smith
Liberal Democrat MP for Leeds North West (2005-present)

Media Unknown, Constituency Appeal, Campaign Organiser, Fundraiser Extraordinaire 
Previously: Sir Lachlan Domnhall Coinneach Duncan MacMahon; Graham Adiputera; I think I played some dull Labour bloke at one point
Whereas the Conservatives argued that investment in Yorkshire is delivering a ‘Christmas wish list’, this Government believes that it is critical to the future success, growth, and prosperity of the entire region. By putting millions of pounds into the region – in transport, culture, and regeneration – we are supporting communities to thrive, create well-paid jobs, and improve wellbeing. This is accompanied by new powers that the region requested to create the solutions that will enable Yorkshire to seize new opportunities in manufacturing, renewable energy, agritech, and financial services. This Deal will create a new future for Yorkshire, and I am delighted a Labour-led Government delivered on it.
Amelia Lockhart
Labour
MP for Hull North (2001 - )
Secretary of State for Economic Security and Local Growth (2020 - )

Traits: media darling, backbench favourite, finite resources 
The One Yorkshire deal signed by this Government marks a turning point for Yorkshire. After the previous Conservative government tried to break Yorkshire up and prevent a real, integrated regional growth strategy - this Government took the steps and made the investment necessary to see One Yorkshire completed. Despite the claims of leading Conservatives, who seem to be concerned that we aren't investing enough in London and the South East, this Government is working hard to ensure that growth is spread across our nation. That is certainly true with this devolution deal; it is true with the additional deal that we signed with Cheshire and Warrington. This Labour-led government is promoting local growth in every corner of our country.

It's not just devolution deals that we're pursuing: it's a real rebalance in how we spend money in this country. The Chancellor announced changes in investment rules months ago - changes that the Shadow Chancellor cannot be bothered to comment on - that will promote investment in Yorkshire, in Scotland, in Cumbria, in Leicester. No longer are we going to be the most regionally unbalanced nation in Europe. No longer are we going to invest in one corner of our country at the expense of all others. This government is committed to building equitable local growth across our country: we're doing that here in Yorkshire and we're expanding it across the nation.
Caroline Blakesley MP DCB
Prime Minister (June 2019-)
MP for Manchester Central (2015-) | Labour
Traits: Fundraising Extraordionare, Campaign Guru, Media Darling, Constituency Pariah
Closed
Well this was a dumpster fire for the Tories. Andrews makes a nothing comment before Smith comes out saying how great it is that Labour did this (he's so sweet like that), and Lockhart welcomes her plan as a great thing. Andrews returns to say this needs more fleshing out and Smith laughs at him. Lockhart and Blakesley lead us home with more good things for Yorkshire.

This was a very short nothing burger of a press cycle, the Tories not engaging with it deprives it of Oxygen which is smart but let Labour get their message across without opposition which is risky. Labour got their points across well, in and out, simple and effective win (if reduced in scope because of the lack of Oxygen). XP to Lockhart x2 and Blakesley.