Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
PC13 - Tories
(Unlucky 13...)

"What do you make of the vote of confidence in Harold Saxon's leadership and on the reshuffle?"

Closes 9th May 2020 at 11:59pm
The recent election defeat and subsequent narrow retention of confidence by our leader, Harold Saxon, should tell everyone two things: the country is ready for change, and the Conservative Party is ready to be that change. If we are to regain our majority at the next election the Conservative Party must offer a new vision for the country that combines our mutual desire to see Brexit done with investment in our public services and a vision that is inclusive of everyone across the country. It is no longer enough to try and flip the north of England, we must win back the south, east, and London if we are to return to Government and I will do everything in my power to lobby the party leadership to orient us in a direction that achieves as much of that as is possible.
The Hon Dylan Macmillan MP
North East Bedfordshire 2015 - Present

Chancellor of the Exchequer: 2020 - Present

Chair of the Justice Select Committee: 2019 - 2020
There's no mistaking what's happening with the Tories. The vote of no confidence, the slim majority, and the refusal of vocal backbenchers to join the government all point to a party in complete disarray. What you're seeing is a party leadership still clinging to a vision that has comprehensively failed them not just in two elections, but two terms in office.

The cliché of "shuffling the deckchairs on the Titanic" bandied about is a useful one for the Conservative Party. A party unwilling to change course despite all evidence presented. A party that gives the wealthy a good life in the sunshine of opportunity and keeps the most vulnerable locked in the dark below decks. A party that hearkens to an age of inequality. A party that will may well end up hurting the lives of British people.
Joseph "Joe" Quinn MP (LAB) 
Member for Birmingham Ladywood (2010-)
Secretary of State for Defence
In the aftermath of the General Election, the Leader of the Conservative Party's decision to voluntarily place himself before the parliamentary party in a vote of confidence was right for the party, and right for the country. Harold Saxon has a renewed mandate to lead the Conservative Party, and to take the fightback to Labour. By placing critics in top jobs he has demonstrated that he has united the Shadow Cabinet, and is ready to put our alternative to the Government on the table. It's time for us to learn from the election, to look at where we succeeded, and to be prepared to look again where we have work still to do.
Rt Hon. Patrick Dundas MP | Scottish Conservative & Unionist Party
Leader of Her Majesty's Most Loyal Opposition
Member of Parliament for Moray (2019-Present)
It is fair to say that the election result was a bit of a disappointment and it would have been a grave mistake to try and ignore it. I am very glad Harold Saxon made the decision to take this step in the right direction which regained him the needed trust and confidence of the Conservative Party. And, of course, it is the responsibility of all of us to reflect upon how we can be the party the British people need, to keep our finger on the pulse of society while remaining true to our principles, and to offer not only a vision but also the right answers and solutions for the United Kingdom. And I must say I am confident both the Shadow Cabinet and the Conservative representation as a whole is more than ready to take on this challenge as the leading opposition party, united behind Harold Saxon, the leader we can rely on.
John Lamarr MP
Member of Parliament for Christchurch
Shadow Secretary of State for Transport & Infrastructure
(media darling / campaigning guru / maverick)
The Government's business hasn't even started the Tories have started to show they're not ready to lead. After announcing a number of appointments for Shadow Cabinet, we learn that the Tories' choice for Shadow Health Secretary was about to come into office and oppose Labour's position of expanding access to PrEP, or pre-exposure prophylaxis. PrEP is an amazing medical treatment that is up to 99% effective at reducing the transmission of HIV among at-risk individuals. This position is based on the flawed and completely un-scientific belief that rugs like PrEP "promote promiscuity." That sort of stigma and shaming is what keeps people in the closet, or it keeps them from taking medication which is proven to protect people I understand the Tories are meant to be conservative, but I don't see what kind of vetting process results in a Health Minister that clearly thinks that even talking about sex will cause "the vapours" or something equally wrong and dangerous to people in the UK. While that Shadow Health Secretary is now out, I think we can be very concerned about what exactly the Tories are doing in a bid to try to be relevant again.
Alexander Milne MP
MP for Kirkcaldy and Cowdenbeath (2019-) | Labour
Chancellor of the Exchequer (2019-)
MP for Stirling (2010-2015)
Shadow Financial Secretary to the Treasury (2011-2015)
Media Unknown | Constituency Appeal | Campaigning Guru
Sebastian Knight did not make it clear that PrEP was a hill he was prepared to die on, and frankly it is far enough down the list of issues that are important that I found it to be almost inconceivable when I heard it.  I am sorry he felt the need to resign over it, but...well, we all have things that stand out for us.  For the avoidance of doubt, the Tories need to make support for lifesaving measures such as PrEP an explicit manifesto promise at the next election.  This is not to say that I don't think the promise wasn't implicit before, but clearly it needs clarifying.
The vote of confidence in Harold Saxon’s leadership of the Conservative party was a logical consequence of the failure of every single party that stood in the recent election to gain the confidence of the British people to govern alone. While Labour now crows that it has an irrefutable mandate to govern, based on a single seat advantage, the Conservative Party has demonstrated the kind of humility and reflection I believe the British people demand from all political parties. A brand new diverse shadow cabinet has been appointed with a genuine intent to listen to the British people in preparation of delivering an exciting and forward-looking agenda for a prosperous and united future under a Conservative government.

In the last Parliament, the Labour party brought together every nationalist, republican and single-minded vote available at Westminster in order to gain power. That was dangerous, that was divisive and ultimately, it failed to deliver the kind of stability this country yearns for. Despite this parliament being only days old, we have already had a taste of the same kind of political machinations and self-serving logic that we were exposed to previously. Labour’s dismissal of the well established concept of English votes for English laws is a political manoeuvre designed yet again to further the political ambitions of the Labour parliamentary party, at the expense of fairness and constitutional integrity. The Conservative Party, under the resurgent leadership of Harold Saxon, will ensure that the political ambitions of this new coalition will be held to account, that the voice of every region is heard at Westminster and that a new alternative agenda will be put to the British people.
Harry De Santis MP

Shadow Secretary of State for Foreign and Commonwealth Affairs
Shadow Secretary of State for Defence Tom Tugendhat (NPC)
Conservative Member for Totnes
Mr Milne is entirely incorrect in his statements. I was not about to come into office and oppose Labour's plans on PrEP. I resigned from the front bench after a shadow cabinet discussion on the support of PrEP - which I disagree with. It is my fault for not stating earlier that this would be something that I cannot support, not Mr. Saxon's. If anything my resignation shows that the Conservative Party are moving forward with the times, while dinosaurs like me are still stuck in the past. That is not the fault of the leadership.

After two election defeats, there were questions about Mr. Saxon's ability to lead. He challenged these head on and a confidence motion was held. 52% of the party supported him. The Defence Secretary may call this a slim majority, what then does he call his own party's percentage in the election of 39.5%?
MP for Hexham 2005 -
What do we call the 39.5% of the vote earned by Labour? A better result than the Conservative Party ever received in the past twenty-five years. That's what it is.
Caroline Blakesley MP DCB
Prime Minister (June 2019-)
MP for Manchester Central (2015-) | Labour
Traits: Fundraising Extraordionare, Campaign Guru, Media Darling, Constituency Pariah