Parliament + The Lords

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Parliament + The Lords
What can we change in Parliament?
Edward
Special Advisor for the Treasury and Foreign Office
Advisor for the Labour Party & the Social Union Party

"If you put the federal government in charge of the Sahara Desert, in 5 years there'd be a shortage of sand." ~ Milton Friedman
Thanks given by:
So I had two ideas for Parliament that I pitched to the admins and now will post here:
  • A Speaker account
  • The return of the House of Lords
So on the Speaker Account. We regularly seem to reach a point where the A-Team have got to prioritise their work between either the House or the Government requests in Whitehall, this seeks to solve the problem. Essentially we create an account which we style "John Bercow", the admins and a handful of trusted players (ex-admins etc.) are given access to the password for this account. We create a usergroup which gives the account editing rights for the Palace of Westminster only, allowing it to move bills through the Readings, Divisions and into Hansard. Thus if the admins are swamped they can get a player to do the Speaker stuff whilst they get on with the business of being admins, writing news and responding to Civil Service requests. Also it'll look nicer to have John Bercow posting rather than an admin going "Speaker: ORDER" etc.

On the return of the House of Lords this proposal is probably slightly more controversial. I would have a character creation system like for MPs (going into a seperate subforum in the New Players section). I would then have a Lord Speaker account as with the House of Commons to organise stuff if the admins need it to be organised (we might even be able to appoint/elect a player to the role full-time since it's not harming their MP experience). Besides that I'd have it follow the format that currently exists in the subforum now (viewable here: http://politicsuk.net/hastings/forumdisplay.php?fid=578 ). Bills that pass the Commons go into the In-Tray, get moved to the floor for some debates and to the End of the Chamber for a vote in a manner like the House of Commons does. Now I think this would be a good idea because whilst the Tories have a majority in the House of Commons they do not have a majority in the House of Lords, so players would have a variety of options for things to do in the House of Lords, they'd be able to block the Government's agenda if they want, the Tories can do deals with various parties to get their agenda through or just use the Parliament Act to force it through. It provides options, the chance to do something different and more role-playing potential in my opinion which is why I support it.
Lucas Hamilton
Labour MP for West Ham 2010-Onwards
Deputy Leader of the Labour Party: 2015-Onwards

Shadow Chancellor of the Exchequer: 2015-Onwards
Mayor of London: 2000-2008
______
'Emergencies' have always been the pretext on which the safeguards of individual liberty have been eroded. - Friedrich Hayek
Underlying most arguments against the free market is a lack of belief in freedom itself. - Milton Friedman
Nothing is so permanent as a temporary government program. - Milton Friedman
Thanks given by:
Past experience has been that debates in the Lords are just rehashing the Commons debates, and Lords votes ought to be dominated by the Salisbury Convention.

A Speaker account is interering
Nick Brazier - Conservative Party
Member of Parliament for Hemel Hempstead
Chancellor of the Exchequer (2015-present)
Government Chief Whip (2015-present)
Former Secretary of State for Justice (2012-2015)

In 1970s round:
Robert Brazier - Conservative Party
Member of Parliament for South West Hertfordshire
Shadow Chancellor of the Exchequer (1974-present)

In 1990 round:
Victor Brazier - Conservative Party
Member of Parliament for Worthing
Chief Secretary to the Treasury (1988-present)
Thanks given by:
I think some people (myself included) can feel a bit overwhelmed at times - it certainly happened to me last round. For the first few days there was just so much stuff to keep track on that I literally needed at least a couple of hours per day (every day) to not lack behind. I think that can put off some people, hence why activity drops after the initial 'round begins hurrah' stage. I think the AV team would do good to design a 'feature' of the game where such people can contribute, without feeling overwhelmed and without feeling guilt for not being as active as their party colleagues. Why am I mentioning it here? Frankly because I think a player-simulated House of Lords is the best tool available for that. Open up the Lords for the two kinds of players: those with unmatched activity levels that can/want/deserve to contribute more and more; and those of us who definitely do want to enjoy the perks of playing PolUK, but can sometimes need a breath of fresh air. It will also mean that the Lords debates aren't simply a copy-paste repetition of the Commons speeches.
Dr Jake Baldwin MP
Secretary of State for Transport (1990 - Incumbent)
Member of Parliament for Canterbury (1984 - Incumbent)
Member of the Conservative Party
Vice-President and Co-Founder of the European Association of Law Practitioners
Reader at the University of Kent

Former Member of the Education Select Committee of the House of Commons (1986 - 1989)
Thanks given by:
In regards to the points raised by Dylan the admins have decided the following;

1) The idea of a House of lords sim is a good one, however we fear at this time that to introduce such a proposal would overcomplicate the process of creating and passing legislation. Our view is that the player base already finds the debate in Parliament somewhat exhausting, i know from experience, and having to justify your legislation multiple times using the same arguments over and over again therefore not only feels like it would be excessive, but also tiring and unneccessary. It is something that should be explored in the future with a larger player base, however for this round we will be closing the idea for later use and sticking with the commons only system with admin control over the lords. They may feature more than normal rounds however this time due to the absence of a Tory majority in that house in separate scenarios that you will be briefed on at a later date.

2) The "Speaker account" idea is intriguing and a good one that we intend to explore further. Announcements and decisions regarding such a feature will be released before the official launch of the round on Wednesday.

I shall address Dr Baldwin's point in a separate post tomorrow.

Kind Regards
Edward
Special Advisor for the Treasury and Foreign Office
Advisor for the Labour Party & the Social Union Party

"If you put the federal government in charge of the Sahara Desert, in 5 years there'd be a shortage of sand." ~ Milton Friedman
Thanks given by:
Re: the Speaker account, note that with delayed moderation you can actually cause bills to automatically move through the readings, or at least from Second/Third to division. Same goes with automatically closing divisions.

Also, regarding the House of Lords, I must very bluntly say I see no point in it, nor do I see the attraction. Apart from the pretty title, Lords aren't supposed to be very important. They scrutinise legislation, guard its quality, and that's it. They rarely intervene in the legislative process in a significant, uproar-causing way. Allowing players to play in the Lords would not just divert admin resources from the main game, it would also lead to an overdose of Lords wishing to make their mark while that is not in fact their purpose, because if there's one thing we've seen by the many requests to play a Lord, players actually have no idea that being a Lord isn't very glamorous at all. It would therefore likely end up either unrealistic or frustrating.

A player-simmed House of Lords like the old system where the party leaders and 2 designates answerred A-team questions and questions raised by other "Lords" would probably be the most PolUK could handle in that department.
the Rt Hon. Elaine Ashbury MP | Norwich North (2009-present)
Secretary of State for Education (2015-present)
Chairwoman of the Conservative Party (2015-present)
Leader of the House of Commons (2015-present)

"The way to lose everything we have is to hold on to everything we have."
- Mark Rutte
Thanks given by:
Quote: Lords aren't supposed to be very important

Surely they are supposed to be extremely important but have been enviously stripped of their importance over the last few centuries -- following the French and Industrial Revolutions.
The Hon. Robert Finch-Knatchbull, MP
Conservative and Unionist Party
MP for Surrey Heath

Former Secretary of State for Culture, Olympics, Media and Sport (2013-2014)
Member of the Cornerstone Group & the Countryside Alliance

"A conservative is someone who does not think he is morally superior to his grandfather." -- The Hon. John Howard, OM, AC

Thanks given by:
(10-25-2017, 04:01 PM)Hon. Robert Finch-Knatchbull Wrote:
Quote: Lords aren't supposed to be very important

Surely they are supposed to be extremely important but have been enviously stripped of their importance over the last few centuries -- following the French and Industrial Revolutions.

In the modern British constitution, they are no longer supposed to be important. That's the relevant fact here.
the Rt Hon. Elaine Ashbury MP | Norwich North (2009-present)
Secretary of State for Education (2015-present)
Chairwoman of the Conservative Party (2015-present)
Leader of the House of Commons (2015-present)

"The way to lose everything we have is to hold on to everything we have."
- Mark Rutte
Thanks given by:
*Walks away lamenting the loss of what could have been*
The Hon. Robert Finch-Knatchbull, MP
Conservative and Unionist Party
MP for Surrey Heath

Former Secretary of State for Culture, Olympics, Media and Sport (2013-2014)
Member of the Cornerstone Group & the Countryside Alliance

"A conservative is someone who does not think he is morally superior to his grandfather." -- The Hon. John Howard, OM, AC

Thanks given by: Dylan Macmillan (Unmasked) , James
;(
Dr Jake Baldwin MP
Secretary of State for Transport (1990 - Incumbent)
Member of Parliament for Canterbury (1984 - Incumbent)
Member of the Conservative Party
Vice-President and Co-Founder of the European Association of Law Practitioners
Reader at the University of Kent

Former Member of the Education Select Committee of the House of Commons (1986 - 1989)
Thanks given by:
Something that came up last round was the potential for voted amendments? In some situations with enough Tory rebels it'll be possible to change Government legislation by vote where a Leader of the House would simply reject the amendment IG.
Lucas Hamilton

______
'Emergencies' have always been the pretext on which the safeguards of individual liberty have been eroded. - Friedrich Hayek
Underlying most arguments against the free market is a lack of belief in freedom itself. - Milton Friedman
Thanks given by:
As I have mentioned on Telegram and possibly the boards before I recently took up an admining gig on RB, one of my two responsibilities being the House of Commons. Now with certain OOC issues and the unholy mess of the SUP here I have let those duties slide a little but the ultimate thing I want to pitch here is that as admin for the House of Commons on RB I have to write editorials and news articles about the goings on in the RB House of Commons. For example when they were discussing water disconnections (they're playing in the early 90s) I wrote articles about the various votes, amendments and arguments put forward. My suggestion is we have a bespoke House of Commons/Houses of Parliament (should we ever get a House of Lords IG) AV on PolUK who not only looks after the House, but writes feedback editorials and news articles pertaining to the happenings in the House(s).
Lucas Hamilton

______
Thanks given by:
(11-24-2017, 01:18 AM)Lucas Hamilton Wrote: As I have mentioned on Telegram and possibly the boards before I recently took up an admining gig on RB, one of my two responsibilities being the House of Commons. Now with certain OOC issues and the unholy mess of the SUP here I have let those duties slide a little but the ultimate thing I want to pitch here is that as admin for the House of Commons on RB I have to write editorials and news articles about the goings on in the RB House of Commons. For example when they were discussing water disconnections (they're playing in the early 90s) I wrote articles about the various votes, amendments and arguments put forward. My suggestion is we have a bespoke House of Commons/Houses of Parliament (should we ever get a House of Lords IG) AV on PolUK who not only looks after the House, but writes feedback editorials and news articles pertaining to the happenings in the House(s).

Maybe in the meantime, we could have a "What the papers are saying" type thread where we get some kind of feedback on parliament from the press. Or jounros/random folks on social media commenting on it.
James Clifton MP | Nottingham North (1987-Present) | Labour Leader (2015-)

"This idea that politics is all about charisma and spin is rubbish. It is trust that matters." - Tony Benn
Thanks given by:
Is every day just an opposition day? It would be good if the Government could block a motion but Opposition players seem to be able to abuse the opposition day rule, at the minute.
Rt. Hon. Rebecca King MP
Secretary of State for Local Government and Regions (Dec 2015-Present)

Member of Parliament for Aldridge-Brownhills (2015-Present)
Member of The Conservative & Unionist Party  (2004-Present)

Secretary of State for Health and Welfare (Nov 2015-Dec 2015)
Thanks given by:
Every opposition party gets one motion and one bill per week atm.
Lucas Hamilton

______
Thanks given by:
Thanks for clearing that up mate!
Rt. Hon. Rebecca King MP
Secretary of State for Local Government and Regions (Dec 2015-Present)

Member of Parliament for Aldridge-Brownhills (2015-Present)
Member of The Conservative & Unionist Party  (2004-Present)

Secretary of State for Health and Welfare (Nov 2015-Dec 2015)
Thanks given by: