<
Child Protection (Sexual Orientation and Gender Identity) Act

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Child Protection (Sexual Orientation and Gender Identity) Act
An act to protect children from the damaging practice of sexual orientation or gender identification conversion therapy

BE IT ENACTED by the Queen's  most Excellent Majesty, by and with the advice and consent of the Lords Spiritual and Temporal, and Commons, in this present Parliament assembled, and by the authority of the same, as follows:

1: Definitions

1.1 Sexual Orientation: Sexual Orientation refers to the capacity of a person to have profound emotional, affectional and sexual attraction, and intimate relations, with persons of a different gender, the same gender, or multiple genders.

1.2 Gender Identity: Gender Identity refers to a person’s experience of gender and/or their expression thereof which may or may not correspond to the sex assigned at birth and regardless of any body modification procedures.

1.3 Conversion Therapy: Conversion Therapy refers to any treatment or practice by any person or organization to change, repress and/or eliminate a person’s Sexual Orientation or Gender Identity.

2: Offences

2.1: Any parent or guardian who compels a child in their care to participate in Conversion Therapy is guilty of an act of Child Abuse and subject to the penalties established in other acts.

2.2: Any person who offers or provides Conversion Therapy to a child is guilty of an offence and subject to a fine not less than £1000 and not greater than £5000, a term of imprisonment not to exceed six months, or both.

2.3 Any healthcare professional who offers or provides Conversion Therapy to a child is guilty of an offence and subject to a fine not less than £2000 and not greater than £10,000, a term of imprisonment not to exceed twelve months, or both.

3: Short Title

This Act may be cited as the Child Protection (Sexual Orientation and Gender Identity) Act 2015

4: Enactment

4.1 This Act shall enter into force upon Royal Assent

4.2 This Act shall extend to England and Wales

Mr Speaker,

I am proud to rise today to introduce the Child Protection (Sexual Orientation and Gender Identity) Act, which will enable England and Wales to further fulfil our promise to protect young people from damaging and dangerous practices such as the so-called conversion therapy that purports to change the sexual orientation or gender identity of youth who do not fit into a heteronormative binary. We have come a long way in standing up for our LGBT communities, but this practice remains and is entirely out of place in the 21st century.

Under this act the practice of conversion therapy will be deemed an act of child abuse, and treated accordingly. Furthermore it establishes penalties for both non-regulated providers of this so-called therapy and healthcare professionals who engage in this entirely unscientific act of abuse, which at times blurs the line between abuse and torture. I expect and hope that my Rt Hon and Hon colleagues in this house will join me in supporting this bill and better protecting our children.

Mr Speaker, I move that this bill be read a first time, as it is an opposition day, time will be allocated
Rt. Hon. George Michael Cosmatos MP

Member of Parliament for Birmingham Ladywood
Shadow Home Secretary
Labour Party
Thanks given by:
Speaker: ORDER Second Reading
Edward
Special Advisor for the Treasury and Foreign Office
Advisor for the Labour Party

"If you put the federal government in charge of the Sahara Desert, in 5 years there'd be a shortage of sand." ~ Milton Friedman
Thanks given by:
Mr Speaker,

I rise today to offer my support and the Government's support for this bill - it is not very often that I will be able to say that I agree with the Shadow Home Secretary and the Leader of the Opposition, however I am delighted to be able to say that I do today.

We as a government stand firm against discrimination and repression of all sorts, and so-called conversion therapy certainly meets that definition. As we all know, Mr Speaker, sexuality is inherent in who we are - we do not choose to be gay, we do not choose to be straight, we do not choose to be bisexual - it is a simple fact of life. These "therapies" - and I use quote marks quite deliberately - purport to help but they do lasting harm to young adolescents who are just starting to mature and embark on a journey of self-discovery. They have no place in 21st century Britain, where we celebrate our diversity and we do not seek to quash it - instead we seek to educate about it. They certainly have no place being practised by people who call themselves medical or healthcare professionals - on this point I will commit the Government to using secondary legislation under the Medical Act 1983 to ensure that medical and healthcare professionals registered with the General Medical Council or with other relevant statutory regulatory bodies who are found to be conducting "gay conversion therapy" will be struck from the registers of those organisations.

Mr Speaker, let us unite as one Parliament in defence of the freedoms of our LGBT fellow citizens to live their lives free from unwanted and damaging interference and abuse. Let us send a message to our youth - it gets better and it gets better because your Parliament is acting to make your lives better.
Johanna Fairbanks MP
Member of Parliament for Grantham and Stamford
Thanks given by:
Mr. Speaker,

I also rise in favour of my Right Honourable friend's bill on an important issue which is often overlooked. Both here and in the United States, leading medical authorities have confirmed the obvious: that LGBT sexual orientation is a natural occurrence and can just as easily be "modified" as one can change one's skin colour, or eye colour, or mouth shape.

That notwithstanding, the very ideas behind the existence of "conversion therapy" must also be challenged. We must continue to create an environment in this country where LGBT people are included, welcomed and normalised, as we have done since the last Labour government repealed Section 28 in 2003. We must continue the progress made since then in educating the public on LGBT issues and ensuring that Britain is a country where anyone can feel free to be the person that they are. Bills such as this one will go a long way towards it and I commend it to the House.
Roger J. Massingley
Member of Parliament for Leeds West (1992 - )
Shadow Secretary of State for Health and Welfare (2015 - )
Opposition Chief Whip (2015 - )
Labour Party
Thanks given by:
Order!

Division! Clear the Lobbies
Chief Admin

Si vis pacem, para bellum  - "If you want peace, prepare for war"
Thanks given by:
Aye
Johanna Fairbanks MP
Member of Parliament for Grantham and Stamford
Thanks given by:
Aye
Diana Edwards.
Founder & Leader of the Social Union Party.
MP for Crosby (1997-2010) & Sefton Central (2010-).
Chief Secretary to the Treasury (2005-2006).
SOS for Work and Pensions (2006-2009) & Business, Innovation and Skills (2009-2010).
Thanks given by:
Aye
Nick Brazier - Conservative Party
Member of Parliament for Hemel Hempstead
Chancellor of the Exchequer (2015-present)
Government Chief Whip (2015-present)
Former Secretary of State for Justice (2012-2015)

In 1970s round:
Robert Brazier - Conservative Party
Member of Parliament for South West Hertfordshire
Shadow Chancellor of the Exchequer (1974-present)

In 1990 round:
Victor Brazier - Conservative Party
Member of Parliament for Worthing
Chief Secretary to the Treasury (1988-present)
Thanks given by:
Aye
Roger J. Massingley
Member of Parliament for Leeds West (1992 - )
Shadow Secretary of State for Health and Welfare (2015 - )
Opposition Chief Whip (2015 - )
Labour Party
Thanks given by:
No
Calum Douglas Wilson MP 
Secretary of State for Nations, Regions & Local Government
MP for Ochil and South Perthshire
Lt. Col (Retd.) Blues and Royals
Ex Special Air Service
Thanks given by:
Aye
Rt. Hon. George Michael Cosmatos MP

Member of Parliament for Birmingham Ladywood
Shadow Home Secretary
Labour Party
Thanks given by:
Aye
Lucas Hamilton
Labour MP for West Ham 2010-Onwards
Deputy Leader of the Labour Party: 2015-Onwards

Shadow Chancellor of the Exchequer: 2015-Onwards
Mayor of London: 2000-2008
______
'Emergencies' have always been the pretext on which the safeguards of individual liberty have been eroded. - Friedrich Hayek
Underlying most arguments against the free market is a lack of belief in freedom itself. - Milton Friedman
Nothing is so permanent as a temporary government program. - Milton Friedman
Thanks given by:
Aye
James Clifton MP | Nottingham North (1987-Present) | Labour Leader (2015-)

"This idea that politics is all about charisma and spin is rubbish. It is trust that matters." - Tony Benn
Thanks given by:
AYE
Angela Holmes
Conservative MP for Bracknell (2010-Present)
Secretary of State for Foreign and Commonwealth Affairs and Defence (2015-Present)
Thanks given by:
Aye
the Rt Hon. Elaine Ashbury MP | Norwich North (2009-present)
Secretary of State for Education (2015-present)
Chairwoman of the Conservative Party (2015-present)
Leader of the House of Commons (2015-present)

"The way to lose everything we have is to hold on to everything we have."
- Mark Rutte
Thanks given by:
Order!

The Ayes to the right, 524 , the Noes to the Left, 121. The Ayes have it, the Ayes have it

Conservative - 221/0/110
Labour - 233/0/0
SNP - 43/0
LD - 14/0
UKIP 4/0
Greens - 1/0
Plaid - 4/0
DUP - 0/8
UUP -  0/3
Independent - 0/2

Unlock!
Chief Admin