<
If you could pass three laws...?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
If you could pass three laws...?
Obviously we play a game where you can try do to this, but equally we are all in real life from very broad and different political viewpoints. So after seeing this on the Young liberal group on Facebook i wanted to ask - if you could pass three laws in real life today, what would they be? Be as detailed or undetailed as you want! 

Also thought this could be a fun way of pooling ideas in general too for perhaps later use in game
Edward
Special Advisor for the Treasury and Foreign Office
Advisor for the Labour Party

"If you put the federal government in charge of the Sahara Desert, in 5 years there'd be a shortage of sand." ~ Milton Friedman
Thanks given by:
1. 'National Defence Industry Act' to establish a means of providing grants for British entrepreneurs to produce weapons for the British Armed Forces rather than relying on foreign sources

2. 'Streamlined Welfare Act' to reform the Dept Work & Pension
s into a more efficient Negative Income Tax system alongside other necessary benefits

3. 'Student Debt Responsibility Act' to allow students to claim as much from a Student Maintainence Loan below the cap as they are willing to be responsible to pay back regardless of parents income
Edward

"If you put the federal government in charge of the Sahara Desert, in 5 years there'd be a shortage of sand." ~ Milton Friedman
Thanks given by:
As to the third one, isn't that already how it works? I remember in my final year at university (2014/15) I was working part time and so I claimed ~£1500 of a maximum of ~£4500 I was entitled to to keep my debt down.

Then again I was on the pre-2012 fee plan so perhaps it worked differently back then.
Roger J. Massingley
Member of Parliament for Leeds West (1992 - )
Shadow Secretary of State for Health and Welfare (2015 - )
Opposition Chief Whip (2015 - )
Labour Party
Thanks given by:
(11-13-2017, 03:13 PM)Roger Massingley Wrote: As to the third one, isn't that already how it works? I remember in my final year at university (2014/15) I was working part time and so I claimed ~£1500 of a maximum of ~£4500 I was entitled to to keep my debt down.

Then again I was on the pre-2012 fee plan so perhaps it worked differently back then.

No, we have bands of how much you are allowed to claim dependent in the income of your parents, if your family has a low household income you can loan more - if you have a higher one you are capped at less. It means if your family has a higher household income but they dont want to give you money or cant due to other commitments like trying to buy a house you end up having to work meaning your student time when you could be studying is taken up by working.
Edward

Thanks given by:

1. Abolish Abortion
  2. Free contraceptives
  3. Negative Income Tax
Lucas Hamilton
Labour MP for West Ham 2010-Onwards
Deputy Leader of the Labour Party: 2015-Onwards

Shadow Chancellor of the Exchequer: 2015-Onwards
Mayor of London: 2000-2008
______
'Emergencies' have always been the pretext on which the safeguards of individual liberty have been eroded. - Friedrich Hayek
Underlying most arguments against the free market is a lack of belief in freedom itself. - Milton Friedman
Nothing is so permanent as a temporary government program. - Milton Friedman
Thanks given by: James
For me it would be 1) voting reform to an AMS variant which uses half party-lists and half-representative constituencies elected by the single transferable vote system, 2) a return to free university education to be replaced with a low-rate 'graduate tax' on income above a certain level and 3) encouragement of co-operatives and tax incentives for them combined with top-down regulation a la Charities Commission.
Roger J. Massingley
Member of Parliament for Leeds West (1992 - )
Shadow Secretary of State for Health and Welfare (2015 - )
Opposition Chief Whip (2015 - )
Labour Party
Thanks given by:
1: Housing as a right
2: Guaranteed basic income
3: Universal, fee-free post-secondary education
Rt. Hon. George Michael Cosmatos MP

Member of Parliament for Birmingham Ladywood
Shadow Home Secretary
Labour Party
Thanks given by:
1. Repeal the 1967 Abortion Act, make laws in line with Northern Ireland.
2. Repeal Blair's House of Lords reforms, phase back in the pre-1999 system.
3. Maximum devolution/federalism in the UK, especially in each of the constituent regions.
James
Responsibilities for Local Government & Regions, Home Affairs, Elections, Bible Bashing, Newspapers, Liberal Democrats

"Anyone wishing to communicate with Americans should do so by e-mail, which has been specially invented for the purpose, involving neither physical proximity nor speech." - Auberon Waugh
Thanks given by:
1. "Attenborough Act" - securing environmental protection through tax rebates for the greenest firms
2. "Business Wage Act" - pays a % of company's wage budget for workers that have been employed for six months or more (encouraging both new and long term employment)
3. "Representation Act" - proportional representation referendum
"We all know that Mary has a nice cat" - Fairbanks
"Nice pussy" - Coombes
"Nice pussy" - Max
"Oh look, it's Mary's massive pussy" - Keynes
"Aw. Mary touching her pussy" - Fairbanks

"Mary loves pussy" - Ed

Keynes: "@Mad_Mary do you want normies off your stream?"
Me: "NORMIES GET OFF MY STREAM REEEEEEEEEEEEEE"
Thanks given by:
1. English National Anthem Act: providing for Jerusalem to be the English national anthem
2. The BBC (Mutualisation) Act: turning the BBC into a mutual organisation
3. Green Belt Reform Act: dramatically reduce the Green Belt in England, especially around London
Emma Hollens
MP for Lewisham Deptford (2015 - )

"Progress is a nice word. But change is its motivator. And change has its enemies." 
Thanks given by:
No need for number one Emma.
Green belt land is vital
Matthew James
Conservative MP - Thanet South 1988

Thanks given by:
Why is green belt land vital? Most of it isn't even green.
Emma Hollens
MP for Lewisham Deptford (2015 - )

"Progress is a nice word. But change is its motivator. And change has its enemies." 
Thanks given by:
1. Death with dignity.
2. Forcible transition legislation: strict carbon tax, firm timescales for converting to renewables as far as the public sector can reach, and smaller stuff like funding for a public health campaign that explicitly promotes and supports vegetarianism. (And economic support for those in meat production, on an inverted scale so the smallest operations get the greatest assistance.)
3. Cultural allowance for every resident. Something like $200 a year to spend on museum admissions, cultural performances, etc.
Gareth Edwards MP | Welsh Labour & Co-operative
Member of Parliament for Cardiff Central (2015- )
Aelod Seneddol (Llafur Cydweithredol) dros Canol Caerdydd (2015- )
Shadow Regions & Local Government Secretary (2015- )
Shadow Home Secretary (2015- )

Formerly: Andrew Pearson, L Chris Havilland, Mack Aldritt
Thanks given by: