<
Interacting with the press

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Interacting with the press
Reporters: the best friend or worst enemy of any MP. 

Trying something new this round, I'll be writing for the various papers. Essentially, you'll see pieces on bills your character introduces, criticism (or praise) of government decisions and salacious stories on internal party fights. 

Obviously, you'll want to share things with a reporter from time to time. Excellent! Leaks are fun! Here's how to do it:

1. Pick your paper: Choose carefully. A Tory MP will want a Tory-friendly paper, for example. Leaking to a paper that is less than friendly to your party/ideology will likely result in the leaker being exposed (though if you're a Tory seeking to damage the Tories, a less than friendly Tory paper is your best bet). If you're not sure, talk to me or the AVs. We're here to help.
  2. Leaks MUST be sent by PM: In order to ensure a paper trail and avoid "that's not what I said!" issues, any leaks sent to a paper should be sent by Private Message (PM) here on the board. Please do not approach me on Telegram with a leak. I will not be able to use it until you PM it to me. If an interview is taking place with a newspaper reporter, Telegram can be used but a group chat will be created with myself, you, and all AVs to ensure fairness for all sides.
I'm grateful to the A-Team for the opportunity to work on this file, and as the round goes on will want (and encourage) feedback from all on what's working, what can be improved, what you want to see more of, etc...
Josh
Media | Home Office
Infrastructure, Energy & Environment | Chief Whips
Thanks given by:
One point of clarification: Things that happen on Telegram can be leaked, it's just a matter that the leaks themselves need to be sent via PM. 

One thing to remember, of course, is that leaks don't necessarily need to be verified. For example, if Tim Jones is considered to want the Labour leadership from the current leader, Sylvia Smith can leak that he's plotting. The reporter won't want to verify it (but might ask Tim to comment before running the story). 

Of course, things are fluid and if issues come up we will address them.
Josh
Media | Home Office
Thanks given by:
A general clarification for you all on press coverage. It's important to remember that, at the end of the day, none of the newspapers are your friend. They might congratulate you on an excellent policy or campaign, but they will then turn around and eviscerate you for a vague argument or change of position. The point I'm making here is two-fold:

1. Criticism of a policy/character in the press may or may not be valid. It's simply the position of the paper at that time with all the public statements available. They may or may not ask you to comment on an article they're working on; more often than not, though, they will not when it comes to a critical piece.
  2. Don't start a war with a paper. You might feel the urge to reply to criticism, but nine times out of ten, it will simply make the situation worse. Unless it's an egregious error, it's likely best to just move on.
Josh
Media | Home Office
Thanks given by: