Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Prime Minister
Questions to the Prime Minister!

Andy
Advisor for the Labour Party, the Treasury and Education
Poll wrangler and election psephologist
Scandalmonger

I forget Andy has political opinions. I always just think of him as a Civil Servant in real life - Mac
Thanks given by:
Madam Speaker,

Let me first congratulate the Prime Minister and welcome her to the position, I look forward to many exchanges with her about the country and the issues across the despatch box. Two decades on Madam Speaker and she is indeed following in the footsteps of Margaret Thatcher, someone who not only we admire on this side of the house Madam Speaker but I'm sure the Prime Minister does as well.

Madam Speaker, that's start with a topic the new Prime Minister or her ally the Chancellor has said very little on - Europe. Not one word in her "manifesto" when she was running for leader mentioned Europe , the single currency, our future relationship with the EU. So let's start with something easy, will she join the Conservatives and guarantee that the United Kingdom will not surrender it's veto?
Sir Harold Saxon MP

Leader of Her Majesty's Opposition

MP for Aylesbury

Thanks given by:
And I welcome the Right Honourable gentleman to his new position as well, Madam Speaker, and commiserations to his defeated opponent the Right Honourable member for Ashford who has been sent back to the backbenches in the Conservative party’s new regime. I am sure there are many members on the opposition benches that are more than capable of providing a tribute to Baroness Thatcher but I do not view her time in office through the rose tinted glasses that the Leader of the Opposition so willingly wears. Years of neglect, spiralling debt and a vindictive approach to the weak and poor is the legacy of his party’s time in office and it is this Government that is continuing to undo the damage inflicted on Britain.

With regards to his question, Madam Speaker, I find it alarming that the Right Honourable Gentleman is so unaware of the procedure of the European Union. A member of the European Union would not be able to give up it’s veto as it is a part of their membership. Perhaps this explains his apparent Euroscepticism, it’s so he doesn’t have to ever learn the workings of the EU.
Elizabeth Tanner
Prime Minister of the United Kingdom
Member of Parliament for Camberwell and Peckham
Leader of the Labour Party
Thanks given by:
Well I was planning to be nice to the Prime Minister Madam Speaker, she talks about the things the Labour Party didn't like about Margaret Thatcher but she forgot to mention how home ownership had risen, how the top tax rate had fallen from 98% in 1979 down to 40% in 1990, how strikes had fallen, how productivity and GDP growth had much improved and foreign investors were queuing round the corner to invest in this country and Britain's victory in the Falklands war under her leadership, she also failed to mention how her party lost three general elections in a row.

On her response i would like to point out Madam Speaker that she says a member of the European Union would not be able to give up it's veto as it is a part of their membership, I just hope when this Government comes up with it's policy on Europe and decides to sign away powers from the UK over to the EU our veto doesn't follow suit Madam Speaker. 

Turning to domestic matters Madam Speaker, the Prime Minister has convened COBRA to discuss the fuel protests, can she tell the house if the chancellor will be delivering an emergency budget to address the crisis?
Sir Harold Saxon MP

MP for Aylesbury

Thanks given by:
As I said, Madam Speaker, there are more than enough members on his side of the House to pay tribute to Baroness Thatcher, if he wishes to spend his time here paying tributes to her then that is his prerogative, but I am sure his constituents and his party members would far prefer him to ask me questions rather than pontificate on former leaders.

A statement on the fuel blockades will be delivered to the House soon. As the Chancellor has said fuel prices will be considered in the next budget and we will not be delivering an emergency budget. This Government has already undone the actions of the Conservative party when it comes to fuel prices by abolishing the fuel price escalator brought and it is under this Government that tax as a percentage on fuel is lower than when we took office.
Elizabeth Tanner
Thanks given by:
Madam Speaker,

The train accident that claimed four lives and injured many was tragic, I'm sure the Prime Minister will join me in offering our condolences to those who have lost loved ones and those who were affected. 

Will the Prime Minister confirm to the House that the Government takes rail safety seriously and more can indeed be done?
Sir Harold Saxon MP

MP for Aylesbury

Thanks given by:
Madam Speaker,

I do indeed join the Leader of the Opposition in offering my condolences to those who have lost loved ones and to those who are currently receiving treatment . I am sure the whole House will join me in paying tribute to those who have lost their lives and to the emergency services and medical staff who have performed above and beyond during this tragedy.

I can confirm that the Government takes rail safety absolutely seriously and the Transport and Infrastructure Secretary is looking at ways how safety on our nation's railways can be improved. When a nation suffers a tragedy such as this it is imperative that we ensure action is taken so it does not happen again.
Elizabeth Tanner
Thanks given by:
Madam Speaker,

The People's Fuel Lobby have announced protest action because this Government has failed to cut fuel duty. Will the Prime Minister admit the Government got it wrong and now call an emergency budget?
Sir Harold Saxon MP

MP for Aylesbury

Thanks given by:
I have been clear on this issue, Madam Speaker, the Government will not be presenting an emergency budget for it is not needed. The Leader of the Opposition has gotten so caught up with the thrill of speaking to protestors that he is ignoring the reality that a minority were causing potential fuel shortages that will place our public services at risk. I and the Chancellor have been clear that fuel prices will be considered in the upcoming budget where will we will be able to balance the cost of a fuel price cut with public spending. That is the responsible action, that is the sensible action and it is a shame that the Leader of the Opposition is so desperate for a quick vote that he has lost all objectivity when it comes to the budgetary process the British Government follows.
Elizabeth Tanner
Thanks given by:
Madam Speaker,

I didn't realise that ignoring the British public and trying to silence them by invoking emergency powers to end the protests was responsible or even sensible Madam Speaker. The Prime Minister has said no to an emergency budget and blamed it on the budgetary process, she cannot hide behind that excuse as a reason for not having one. I can tell you the real reason Madam Speaker, the Prime Minister knows that the Government have fouled this whole crisis up from the very start, she is trying to throw any argument she can think of out there as a reason to not hold an emergency budget and to not reduce fuel duty, shame on her Madam Speaker. 

Madam Speaker, to end the protests last time the Government invoked emergency powers through an order in council as per the Energy Act . As my party has previously said before and I will say it again now, emergency powers will not solve the problem, only delay it. Low and behold we have ended up with further protests and people are angry at the Government because they have to pay excessive amounts at the forecourts. We now face the distinct possibility of significant disruption due to this Government's refusal to take action to lower the price of fuel. 

I ask the Prime Minister this. As the Government's plan to end the protests through emergency powers has failed, will she now admit she was wrong and rule out using them again?
Sir Harold Saxon MP

MP for Aylesbury

Thanks given by:
Madam Speaker,

No, I do not and when it comes to ensuring that this country has a fuel supply I will take action to ensure that supply is there. The Right Honourable gentleman seems to be labouring under the fact that the powers under the Energy Act stopped the protests. No protests were stopped by this Government, but what this Government ensured was that oil companies got their tankers moving. While this Government has acted to ensure the country does not run dry of fuel, the party opposite have stoked fears and encouraged further blockades that will only cause problems for our public services. The British people will remember who ensured there was fuel in supply and they will remember who it was that stood in the way to score a cheap political point.
Elizabeth Tanner
Thanks given by:
Madame Speaker,

With the recent news that a potential measles outbreak has forced schools to close in the Greater London Area, what steps with the Prime Minister and the Government she leads take to re-open schools and curb the measles outbreak?
REBECCA FLAIR

LIB DEM MP FOR MONTGOMERYSHIRE
______
'Emergencies' have always been the pretext on which the safeguards of individual liberty have been eroded. - Friedrich Hayek
Underlying most arguments against the free market is a lack of belief in freedom itself. - Milton Friedman
Nothing is so permanent as a temporary government program. - Milton Friedman
______

Mac the Great and Powerful
Thanks given by:
Madam Speaker,

The Government's plan for the NHS appears to be spend, spend and spend according to the Chancellor. The Government hasn't made it clear how they are going to fund it.

Will the Prime Minister therefore tell the house if she will rule out a VAT, income tax or National Insurance in the upcoming budget?
Sir Harold Saxon MP

MP for Aylesbury

Thanks given by:
Madame Speaker,

I would like to apologise on behalf of the Government for the lack of answers to questions from this dispatch box. I'm sure you will understand the Right Honourable Member for Camberwell and Peckham circumstances.

To answer the questions from the Right Honourable Member for Aylesbury, Madame Speaker - the budget has now been presented to the House by my Right Honourable Friend, the Chancellor of the Exchequer.

Madame Speaker, the Government will be evaluating the situation in due course and I will endeavour to report back to the House when I have information to convey.
Rt. Hon. Callum Finch MP | Labour Party
Member of Parliament for Burton (1992-present)

Secretary of State for Defence (2000-2001)
Government Chief Whip & Parliamentary Secretary to the Treasury (2000-2001)
Thanks given by: