<
Conservative Leadership Election 2000

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Conservative Leadership Election 2000
Hilda Asher-Grey was canvassing on behalf of Sir Harold Saxon. (1 hour)

On Public Spending;
  • Harold’s approach is exactly the right tone the party needs. Labour’s spending is resting entirely on the economic success Ken left for them but their current plans squander that inheritance entirely. If you worked in industry, in a city bank or even in a small business, you review your spending. You look for inefficiencies and you correct them. It’s just good business. I think that’s where Harold is right; we ought to review the public expenditure properly and we ought to do it with an independent auditor. I also thought his idea for a judicial body for the financial sector is the right one. Other sectors have hugely benefited competitively from being professionally bound like that. It will be a big win for industry.
On Welfare;
  • I’m so glad Harold takes welfare reform seriously. It does seem the longer it goes on, the more handouts we dish. A proper review of who’s getting what and why is a good idea. I like that he’s committed to ensuring that public money and taxes are spent effectively but also ethically. Not that I’d want to see people without but I certainly want more people working and less taking. His comments and policies on public spending, on the budget, on reviewing for efficiencies are all the right thing for the country. The more we, as a responsible party, look at getting people off benefits and into work the better. I hope he carries it forward.
On the NHS;
  • Having technology and cancer care right up there on his list of NHS priorities was the right call from Harold, wasn’t it? The tech sector is making huge leaps in terms of scientific breakthroughs and treatments. The NHS is the backbone of Britain’s health industry and it needs to stay up to date. I was pleased, too, to see him mention choice for the patient. It makes very little sense to have people told where and when and if they can access medical treatment. There are a plethora of reasons why someone may prefer or need to access one hospital over another and embedding that very holistic mentality into the NHS is a very good thing.
Hilda Asher-Grey | Conservative | Member for West Derbyshire
Former Minister of State at DfE
Thanks given by:
Canvassing (1 Hour):

Francis Finch-Holt canvassed on behalf of Sir Harold Saxon

If the topic is the Economy:

"As someone who invested in business and gained a lot of insight into the importance of the economy, I find Sir Harold's policies and his understanding of what this country needs outstanding. Sir Harold understands, as I understand that the government can often become overly bureaucratic and generate waste and that it is sensible that we seek to make our government as efficient as possible in delivering top quality public services. His approach is one that befits the 21st century and will allow the UK to become a much more competitive and vibrant economy which will in turn make us a prosperous nation."

If the topic is the Europe:

"Sir Harold's position on the Euro is in my view the only sensible position, as a party and as a country we must oppose the entry into the Euro. Retaining our own currency allows us a degree of economic independence that is invaluable. He also understands the urgent need for the UK to retain its veto, so that we may protect our citizens against the EU's worst excesses and he wants to ensure that we retain the powers we have."

If the topic is the NHS:

"We all recognise the NHS as essential and many of us are only one unfortunate accident away from needing the NHS. That is why I support Sir Harold, he is someone who recognises the importance of the NHS and the importance of making sure that it is working for everyone. He's shown this buy his support for a comprehensive Health Review to examine the state of the NHS and to find ways we can improve the NHS. He also acknowledges that doctors and other NHS workers know what is best for the NHS and will ensure they have the resources they need."
Francis Finch-Holt MP | East Berkshire (1992-1997) | Bracknell (1997-) | Shadow Secretary of State for Education (2000-)

"Some people don't like change, but you need to embrace change if the alternative is disaster." - Elon Musk
Thanks given by:
Scott Webster Canvassing on behalf of Sir Harold Saxon

On Education
When I was deciding who I should support in this election, I looked for a few things: The most important of which is Education. it is my belief that one main responsibilities we have in Government is to make sure the next generation is ready to compete in the real world. Sir Harold Saxon is ready to make sure that happens, his goals are clear: Make sure that all our kids can read and write in at least two languages. That right there will be one of the most important skills for tomorrow's doctors, lawyers and entrepreneurs.

On the European Union
Sir Harold Saxon combines the right kind of hope and skepticism with his plan for the EU, he sees that the EU is good for British Business but knows that we should have a way out if eventually that is not the case. He know that we shouldn't let Brussels control our currency; however the common market is good for this Country. The next leader of the Conservative party needs to be able to look at each step of the European Union and ask himself if that is good for Britain before he decides what his stance is, and that he will allow the British People to voice their opinion on every new treaty to make sure the Public has a say in their future.

On the Economy
It takes a great mind to understand that not everything can be solved with simple actions and strong words. You need a good vision and a better plan. Sir Harold Saxon's Economic Plan is exactly that plan it takes the absolute right blend of Traditional Conservatism and Reformed Tory Vision. He takes the best parts of trying to reduce waste and making sure that no one is left behind. He makes sure that we are keeping Britain Business and Consumer Friendly. Let's not forget that both sides have ideas that will make this country better so let us look for a leader that is willing to take the best ideas of both sides and the person who will make that kind of leader is Sir Harold Saxon.
MP for South West Devon (1997-Present)
MP for South Hams (1992-1997)

Shadow Chancellor of the Exchequer (2000-Present) 
Thanks given by:
Day 1 Leaflet (1 Hour)

Front 

[Image: ZBeAQd4.jpg]

Back 

[Image: axJq910.jpg]
Sir Harold Saxon MP

Leader of Her Majesty's Opposition

MP for Aylesbury

Thanks given by:
Poster in Support of Sir Harold Saxon: 1 Hour

[Image: rDnL5Dm.jpg]
MP for South West Devon (1997-Present)
MP for South Hams (1992-1997)

Shadow Chancellor of the Exchequer (2000-Present) 
Thanks given by:
Day 1 (Canvassing) - 1 Hour

Conservative Leadership candidate Sir Harold Saxon was canvassing today speaking to Tory members on the campaign trail.

On Education

Under my Leadership the next Conservative Government will end illiteracy in Primary and Secondary Schools, we believe that every child should be able to read and write. The Conservative party is also there to help students, we will raise the Student Loan Repayment Threshold to £21,000, meaning students when they enter the world of work will only start repaying their student loan when they earn at least £21,000. If i am elected Conservative Leader our party stands ready to not only help students, but to take the fight to illiteracy. 

On the NHS

Aren't you tired of waiting times? Do you think the NHS should be ran by our doctors and nurses, by those who are on the frontline? Under my Leadership the next Conservative Government will launch a health review into the NHS, to find what needs to be done to make our NHS better and to ensure the patient gets the best level of care. We also believe in the right of the patient to choose what hospital they should be able to go to in consultation with their doctor, not being told where to go. It's time we improved the NHS, we will place the trust in our doctors and nurses , let them decide what is best for the NHS.

On Defence 

It is absolutely vital Britain has a national defence. I guarantee if elected Conservative Leader that we will retain our nuclear deterrent. We will continue to invest in our armed forces , ensuring they have the best equipment avaialble to them. When we enter Government we will launch an immediate defence and security review to ensure our armed forces has the latest state of the art technology and Britain's Defences are prepared for the future.
Sir Harold Saxon MP

MP for Aylesbury

Thanks given by:
Day 1 - Francis Paris - Speech - Two Campaign Hours

Francis Paris, Conservative MP for Arundel and South Downs, addressed the Conservative Society of Lawyers, in support of Sir Harold Saxon's bid for the leadership:

Quote:Ladies and gentlemen, from the bottom of my heard, thank you for allowing me to speak to you today.

I must confess, at the outset, that I am not a lawyer by profession; neither am I a member of a related occupation, such as a policeman. So it is not as a member of either of these groups that I address you today.

Instead, I address you as one Briton to another, and one Conservative to another, because the subject of crime affects all of us.

By definition the Conservative Party is a party of Law and Order. And this is, of course, a good thing – any society, even one undergoing such considerable change such as ours, is predicated on combating crime and disorder as eternal threats to civilised society. These facts mean that a Conservative Party without a proper, pragmatic strategy to combat crime and disorder is a Conservative Party that will never form a sustainable Government. Sir Harold Saxon understands this, and this is why he supports policies that make sense for the Conservative Party, and for our country as a whole.

Sir Harold has stated his commitment to a tough, unyielding approach to drug crime, with stiffer penalties on drug pushers generally, and mandatory sentencing for those who specifically target the most vulnerable and susceptible populations in our society – children – for immoral profit.

Sir Harold has pledged to increase the number of police on our streets, to ensure that the Queen’s writ runs throughout this country. The Saxon policy on crime, in short will tolerate no area where police will not tread.

Sir Harold stands for making sure that those persons who have been convicted of the heinous crime of rape shall never be given a chance again to reoffend, in prison or out, by ensuring that they remain on a registry, and thus known to the police, for the rest of their natural life.

Finally, Sir Harold has pledged that a Conservative Government under him shall be particularly tough on those who commit hate crimes – those who would destabilize society and exploit social tensions for the sole reason of enabling their criminal schemes and sustaining what are at heart criminal gangs.

Sir Harold Saxon is running for the Conservative leadership on the promise of building a better tomorrow. And he evidently understands that a better tomorrow is a crime-free tomorrow, based on policies that are not just Conservative, but common sense. That is why I support Sir Harold utterly; that is why I ask you gathered here today to support him as well.
Francis Paris PhD (Londin) MP
Member for Arundel and South Downs
Shadow Secretary of State for Energy and the Environment
Thanks given by:
[Image: vixPacX7Ok1hL8BODDqkYbtkZO8.jpg?auto=for...q=45&w=564]

Gus Quigley spoke at a campaign event attended by Conservative businessholders in support of Sir Harold Saxon:

Quote:Ladies and gentlemen,

One of the things I’ve learned taking over the family business is that nothing is static – the times change constantly, demanding that we adapt to be able to thrive. But you know what? My father taught me one lesson by example and that is that it’s also about stability – about providing a livelihood to people, about service. I think in Conservative politics, it’s not too different.

We stand on the brink of an election that I am convinced will decide the first Conservative Prime Minister of the 21st century. And that’s exactly what I want to get at – a Conservative Prime Minister for the 21st century. I’ll come out and say it: I believe Sir Harold Saxon will be that next Prime Minister.

When it comes to the economy, this new century will look different in the challenges it poses to keep Britain competitive. Entrepreneurs would ask: what is Britain’s business plan for the coming years? What I find so amazing about Harold’s business plan for Britain is that is does not stick to the prescriptions of the 20th century, which hold true even now – sound finances, low taxes – but also outside the box, looking forward to new challenges.

As globalisation continues, we must do what Britain has always done: proudly bring our commerce, our products, our enterprising spirit to every corner of the globe. And this is where Sir Harold’s plans come in very handy because they don’t just stick to the economic levers but branch into education to prepare us, our employees and our businesses for a globalising world. Take China – it’s one of the major emerging economies and markets right now. If we start teaching our children the languages of these emerging economies now, particularly Mandarin, we broaden up the frontiers of British industry and turn it into a world of opportunity.

But as I said, there’s also the tried and tested principles of running a good economy. As we’ve seen, it really does not differ that much from what you do – what I did before I went into politics. The tax money the government receives from the taxpayer should be well-understood. Labour has a history of using it like pocket money, spending it on whatever fancy they catch without necessarily seeing the money is well-spent.

We have always had a different approach. We want the tax money to be an investment. An investment in Britain. Like all investments, we aren’t just spending it and be done with it. There needs to be a solid plan, there needs to be a check to see whether it’s effectively used. And where it’s wasted, we owe it to the tax-payer to ruthlessly eliminate that waste. And yes, it has to be said – like any good investment, occasionally it’s nice to receive something back!

Of course with Sir Harold, you have greater efficiency in public spending, a war on red tape and less tax so you keep more of the pounds you earn in your pocket. But there’s more. Sir Harold Saxon doesn’t just embrace the lessons of our party’s past. He has updated them.  Far from ditching the independence of the Bank of England, he has a plan to make independent oversight work for us to make the investment of the taxpayer worth every penny. By establishing an independent body to examine the economic outlook, he will ensure that we hold ourselves to the highest standards.

Because in the end government, like business, is about giving something to society as well as about getting something out of it. And that’s why, as a Conservative and a former business-holder I urge you to support Sir Harold Saxon for the leadership.

Thank you very much.
the Rt Hon. Angus "Gus" Quigley MP | Conservative MP for Crosby (1992-present)
Opposition Chief Whip (2000-) and Shadow Infrastructure and Transport Secretary (2000-)
Shadow Minister for Agriculture, Fisheries and Food (1999-2000)

"Get Netflix at the PM's Office."
- Sybrand Buma, when asked what his first act as Prime Minister of the Netherlands would be.
Thanks given by:
End of Day 1

Day 2 starts
Andy
Advisor for the Labour Party, the Treasury and Education
Poll wrangler and election psephologist
Scandalmonger

I forget Andy has political opinions. I always just think of him as a Civil Servant in real life - Mac
Thanks given by:
MP Simon Calvert spoke at the Bow Group Headquarters in London in support of Harold Saxon’s vision for Britain’s place in the world.

“My friends it is so nice to be here before you all today. Our nation has long been the arbiter of balance in the world. Throughout the centuries Great Britain has been a consistent force for the forces of good, morality and justice in the world. Whether it has been fighting the forces of evil on the Continent and in the Pacific, to being a key player in international institutions of peace and prosperity, to being a shining beacon and voice for human rights around the world Britain has been an integral nation in the world. And as we enter this new century we must remain committed to Britain’s mission in the world.

That is why I am so pleased to back Sir Harold Saxon in this race. He has the clearheaded vision that we need to lead our party to victory in the next election and into Government. His vision for Britain’s place in the world continues to hold us in a premiere position for good and justice. He has voiced unequivocally continued support for our special relationship with the United States. A bond formed through the darkest days of our nation have only been strengthened by time and it is critical that we maintain that relationship. Sir Harold understands that together the United States and Great Britain can do a great deal for the world and that our collaboration must continue.

Sir Harold is also dedicated to strengthening past bonds of friendship and alliance whether it is with NATO or Commonwealth countries or really any peoples that seek peace and prosperity. Our allegiances with the democratic and free nations of the world is one of our greatest strengths and maintaining those ties only makes Britain safer and more prosperous.

But Sir Harold is not content to merely sit on our laurels while the world changes. He is ready to face the new challenges in this 21st century no matter what form it takes. He has the leadership and dedication to continue Britain’s stand against violent extremism of whatever strain and rogue nations. Sir Harold is dedicated to a lithe, agile British military that can protect Britain’s interest and ensure global prosperity.

Sir Harold, however, recognizes that diplomacy is the other side of the coin in our national protection. Sir Harold has staked a claim in pledging to work to forge new ties with emerging nations around the world from China and India to Brazil to budding democracies in Sub-Saharan Africa. We must continue to extend the hand of friendship to every nation that openly and honestly grasps it. We must work to ensure that all people around the world are lifted up to new heights in this new century.

My friends the 21st century can be the British Century if only we seize the opportunity. With Sir Harold at the helm of our party we can seize that opportunity and build a better future for the world. Thank you and good day.”
Simon Calvert
Conservative MP for Orpington (1992-Present)
Shadow Foreign Secretary (2000-Present)

Thanks given by:
Summer Campaign, Day Two:
(Campaign Materials)

1.- Poster (1 Hour):

[Image: q92XhKX.png]

2.- Poster (1 Hour):

[Image: Zf1UCgC.png]
[b]3.- Poster (1 Hour):

[/b]
[Image: zm0CYmD.png]

Summer Campaign, Day Two:
(Canvassing)

As part of the closing efforts of his campaign, leadership candidate Andrew Summer chose to focus on canvassing among Tory members and supporters with the membership vote fast approaching:

4.- Canvassing (1 Hour):

[Image: jass.jpg]

• Defence: Defence policy is one of the issues I care about the most, and one in which the Conservative Party has to come out in full force. As part of my platform not only do I promote the necessity of a full spending and strategic review, but the importance of raising the defence budget while auditing the MoD to ensure the money is well spent. And while I also support the nuclear deterrent and oppose the Euro Army unfailingly, I think a key element in defence policy is being ignored today: the well being of those brave souls who serve in our Armed Forces, and the necessary rewards and respect for their sacrifice. I endorse the Armed Forces Covenant, and stand ready to fight for greater benefits and support for our brave soldiers.
  • British Values: British values are going a bit underappreciated in this age, don't you agree? All too often they go ignored and taken for granted, and even key moments of our history are cheapened and not considered in their full value and importance. I, for one, believe that as a society we should be promoting traditional British values and their role in our history, and how important it's to keep them present and alive if we want to build a better Britain. Even more importantly, so the future generations never forget the price of what we can now take almost for granted, notions such as parliamentary democracy, liberty and the rule of law.
  • Reforming Politics: While I enthusiastically believe in tradition and reject the Labour Party's unnecessary attempts to tinker with our constitution, I do believe there is space for reform in politics. We cannot sit idly by and allow Westminster to carry on as usual if we can promote policy to increase accountability and help increase the trust of the public in politics, often marred by behaviour such as the shameful race for the Labour leadership. I believe voters should have the right to recall their own MP if they have a good reason for it and gather enough signatures, and I also believe it would be more efficient if we had less MP's than we have now. Such policies would be prominent proposals for more transparent politics in a Summer leadership.

5.- Canvassing (1 Hour):

[Image: GEKAST-660x330.jpg]

• Public Services: Britons deserve services that work for them and so efficiently, and right as we speak there are many fundamental issues with the NHS, with Transportation, with Education, and so on, which I believe we must tackle decisively, proposing common sense solutions that can get the job done. My vision is that decentralization and greater freedom of choice for every Briton are the main solution that we need to promote and implement, ensuring, for example, Britons can more freely chose their hospital, or the right school for their children. This needs to be coupled with a harsh stance on reducing the size of bureaucracy in this country,so we can for once put efficiency first and thus help hard-working Britons with their ordinary lives.
  • Crime: How many of our fellow citizens have to go to work every day while feeling concern about crime? How many Britons have been victims of the different forms of crime? In the last Conservative Government Michael Howard had stellar achievements in driving down crime by taking a harsh, uncompromising stance on it, and it was my privilege and honor to work with him on that as a Minister of State. As Leader I would continue to take a harsh stance on crime and support a large-scale strategy to fight it, ranging from tougher sentences, more and larger prisons and more policemen on the streets, decentralization of the policies so communities can fight more efficiently, fight against many forms of early release and promote more efforts against specialized crime.
  • Leadership: It is important for any future leader to have a mixture of experience and principles in order to properly lead the party and become a plausible alternative to be Prime Minister in the eyes of the voters. I've been in Parliament for thirteen years, and I've had the privilege to working to fight crime as a Minister in the Home Office, and promote British culture and British values in cabinet as National Heritage Secretary. Even though you may not always agree with me, you'll always know where I stand on the issues, and which are the principles I hold dear. I think the Conservative Party needs a consistent, principled leader with a record, and I believe I can be such an alternative. 

[b]6.- Canvassing (1 Hour):

[/b]
[Image: 210335_1_5a1432918706a.jpg?d=800x400]
  • Economy: We have an economic record to be proud of when one considers who much Britain changed for the better under the Conservatives, and I believe we should build on that record and the achievements of Thatcherism. That is why I have a five pillar economic plan which includes necessary measures such as lowering the rate of tax, promoting deregulation and efficiency in spending, protect spending on defence, education and the NHS while striving to make it more efficient, and leading the way in a pro-family agenda that rewards families with tax cuts, increased benefits, and different incentives to make it easier in Britain to have and raise children.
  • Europe: Europe is exactly the sort of issue in which principle matters, as well as honesty about one's personal position. I think the Conservative Party is by a strong majority a Eurosceptic party even if the degree of criticism towards the EU may wary, and if elected leader I will pursue a strong Eurosceptic line while recognizing that those Conservatives who consider themselves pro-Europe  should certainly form part of a united Shadow Cabinet. As to my line, I say No to the Euro Army, No to the Euro, No to further political integration and transfer of powers, Yes to restoring British sovereignity and control over our own destiny.
  • Immigration: Clearly immigration has often been a large, important part of British history and British society, there being countless stories of immigrants who came to this country in search of a better life and helped Britain become a better place. And yet, are the current levels of illegal immigration truly sustainable? Are we truly doing everything we should to keep border secure? I believe the case to be the opposite, and I think we should stand strong against illegal immigration in a responsible manner. That means investing more on border security, reforming the agencies in charge of dealing with immigration and setting stricter quotas, ideas I fully endorse.
Rt. Hon. Andrew Summer - Conservative and Unionist Party
Member of Parliament for Ashford (1987 - Present)

Shadow Secretary of State for Foreign Affairs and Defence (2001 - Present)
Chairman of the Conservative Party (2001 - Present)
Chair of the Home Affairs Select Committee (2000 - 2001)
Secretary of State for National Heritage (1995 - 1997)
Thanks given by:
Day 2 - Leaflet (1 Hour)

Front

[Image: ldzFiyN.jpg]

Back

[Image: r0ruld7.jpg]
Sir Harold Saxon MP

MP for Aylesbury

Thanks given by:
Day 2 (Leaflet - 1 hour)

Front

[Image: VfNr4Hc.jpg]

Back

[Image: c4hTpVu.jpg]
Sir Harold Saxon MP

MP for Aylesbury

Thanks given by:
Canvassing – Day 2 – Francis Paris – On Behalf of Sir Harold Saxon – One Campaign Hour

On Immigration:

Sir Harold understands that the subject of immigration is often a precarious, often emotionally fraught topic. But in my view, he’s proposing an agenda that takes an altogether sensible position on it, which balances our traditionally welcoming attitude to those who want to come to Britain and contribute to our society, while also looking after British interests and British values. He supports round-the-clock surveillance at our ports and more border security generally; he also supports making sure that, notwithstanding our treaty obligations vis-à-vis Europe, the sort of immigrants who come here for family reunification processes are prospectively able to integrate into British society. This is just one of the many reasons why I think Sir Harold is the sensible choice to lead the Conservative Party, and hopefully soon enough, this country!

On Europe:

I think we all understand the follies the men in Brussels sometimes get into, especially now that a plurality of the British electorate got shut out from many supposedly participatory EU institutions. Clearly there is a need for someone who understands that British policy towards Europe should place British interests first, and make sure that our dealings with the Continent really are, “game, set and match” for Britain! And I think Harold Saxon is demonstrably that man; he’s made a firm commitment against the Euro, against any Euro-Army, and against scrapping any British Veto.

On Education:

When we, as a First World country, are still talking about eradicating illiteracy at home, it’s clear that there is something rotten, if not in the state of Denmark, at least in Ofsted. Sir Harold understands that clearly, which is why he’s stated a clear policy commitment and called for a full review of that body, to make sure it’s fit for purpose and able to ensure that our children are actually receiving the world-class education they deserve. That’s the kind of leadership I’d like in the Conservative Party, which is why I support Sir Harold.

Canvassing – Day 2 – Francis Paris – On Behalf of Sir Harold Saxon – One Campaign Hour

On Crime:

You know as well as I do that, as the party of law and order, if we don’t have a solid message on crime, we in the Conservative Party are toast! Which is why I like Sir Harold’s approach on the issue. He’s pledged to toughen up sentences on drug crime, especially for those who push these substances on the children in our community; he wants to put sex offenders on police registers for life, and he wants to make sure that those who exploit tensions and differences in our communities to further their criminal purposes and the interests of their criminal gangs get particularly stiff sentences. It’s a solid, common-sense approach, and it’s the sort of thing that you can expect if we’re led by Sir Harold.

On the National Health Service:

When you and I go to the GP, we are relying on the fact that our doctors know our health situation, and have knowledge of the medical field as required to treat us and do his best to make us whole. But too often, especially when it comes to accessing one hospital or doctor over another, you get the feeling that it’s some Whitehall flunky deciding things, not actual doctors and nurses. On the other hand, Sir Harold wants to change that. He wants to make sure that the people who are making the decisions about what kind of healthcare we get are our doctors and nurses first and foremost. Frankly, it’s just the sort of common-sense policy that the Conservatives can offer under Sir Harold, and the sort of common-sense policy that we as Britons can all agree on.

On the Budget:

Look, in a democracy like Britain, people are going to disagree as to budget priorities, but any reasonably coherent budget policy has to be based on cold, hard facts, instead of the woolly wishful thinking that some people – particularly in the present Government – are prone to. Sir Harold realizes that, which is why supports establishing and independent body to examine the economic outlook and provide impartial facts and figures on which we can make an informed, realistic approach on the Budget. It’s simple common sense, and Sir Harold’s common-sense approach on things like the Budget is why I want him to lead the Conservative Party.
Thanks given by:
Day 2 - Leaflet (1 Hour)

Front

[Image: wVKwtXR.png]

Back

[Image: Tqp1J7y.png]

Day 2 - Canvassing ( 1 Hour)

Conservative Leadership Candidate Sir Harold Saxon was today canvassing Conservative party members on Pensions, on trust and the Economy.

On Pensions

The Conservatives believe that when you retire, you should get back a decent state pension. Under my leadership the next Conservative Government will increase the basic state pension, meaning you get more back from the Government when you retire and can start claiming that state pension. We will also abolish compulsory pension annuities when you reach 75. While Labour are stuck in the past, the next Conservative Government under my leadership will make the right decisions for our pensioners.

On Trust

I believe the Conservatives need to reconnect with the British public if we are to win the next election. I also believe that to do that, we have to make the right decisions , the decisions that the British people want. Whilst the next Conservative Government will not only listen to people, we will also take action at Government level,  I believe that members of the Government are paid far too much when you look at salaries of other professionals. Under my leadership the next Conservative Government will ensure the Prime Minister and members of the cabinet all take a 5% pay cut. We can then use this money and reinvest it into our public services like the NHS. The Conservatives are the responsible party who are taking the right decisions for a better Britain.

On the Economy

We need a strong and a stable economy. We cannot have public services functioning well without a strong economy. To help us achieve prosperity it is helpful to know how the economy is doing independent of Government. Under my leadership when the Conservatives win the next election the Government will establish an independent body from Government to examine the economic outlook. I also believe that more needs to be done around tax avoidance, not paying your taxes is simply wrong, so we will strengthen powers around tax avoidance to ensure that everyone is paying the taxes they should. 
Sir Harold Saxon MP

MP for Aylesbury

Thanks given by:
(01-28-2018, 10:28 PM)Francis Paris Wrote: Day 1 - Francis Paris - Speech - Two Campaign Hours

Francis Paris, Conservative MP for Arundel and South Downs, addressed the Conservative Society of Lawyers, in support of Sir Harold Saxon's bid for the leadership:

Quote:Ladies and gentlemen, from the bottom of my heard, thank you for allowing me to speak to you today.

I must confess, at the outset, that I am not a lawyer by profession; neither am I a member of a related occupation, such as a policeman. So it is not as a member of either of these groups that I address you today.

Instead, I address you as one Briton to another, and one Conservative to another, because the subject of crime affects all of us.

By definition the Conservative Party is a party of Law and Order. And this is, of course, a good thing – any society, even one undergoing such considerable change such as ours, is predicated on combating crime and disorder as eternal threats to civilised society. These facts mean that a Conservative Party without a proper, pragmatic strategy to combat crime and disorder is a Conservative Party that will never form a sustainable Government. Sir Harold Saxon understands this, and this is why he supports policies that make sense for the Conservative Party, and for our country as a whole.

Sir Harold has stated his commitment to a tough, unyielding approach to drug crime, with stiffer penalties on drug pushers generally, and mandatory sentencing for those who specifically target the most vulnerable and susceptible populations in our society – children – for immoral profit.

Sir Harold has pledged to increase the number of police on our streets, to ensure that the Queen’s writ runs throughout this country. The Saxon policy on crime, in short will tolerate no area where police will not tread.

Sir Harold stands for making sure that those persons who have been convicted of the heinous crime of rape shall never be given a chance again to reoffend, in prison or out, by ensuring that they remain on a registry, and thus known to the police, for the rest of their natural life.

Finally, Sir Harold has pledged that a Conservative Government under him shall be particularly tough on those who commit hate crimes – those who would destabilize society and exploit social tensions for the sole reason of enabling their criminal schemes and sustaining what are at heart criminal gangs.

Sir Harold Saxon is running for the Conservative leadership on the promise of building a better tomorrow. And he evidently understands that a better tomorrow is a crime-free tomorrow, based on policies that are not just Conservative, but common sense. That is why I support Sir Harold utterly; that is why I ask you gathered here today to support him as well.

Typo: He was addressing the Society of Conservative Lawyers.
Thanks given by:
Day 2 (Speech)  - 2 Hours

Conservative Leadership Candidate Sir Harold Saxon today gave a speech to the Tory Reform Group, outlining what the Conservatives can achieve in Government if elected as leader. 

[Image: images?q=tbn:ANd9GcSSWO2VoifvVOtbFlk_SM4...ncbD88iC5Q]

Quote:Ladies and Gentlemen

It's a pleasure to be here today. As the Conservative Party Leadership Campaign draws to an end, I am here today to tell you what the Conservatives can achieve with me as your leader.

The Conservative Party has a real opportunity to change people's lives and make them better, but we have to be in Government to do that. Before we have any chance to get back into Government, we have to be able to form a credible opposition against this Labour Government who will ultimately be led by Maulty, Tanner or Politt, all fighting over the keys for Number 10, like children fighting over the TV remote on the sofa, determined to turn to the channel they want everyone to watch. They may all have different views on how to run the Labour Party but they all have one thing in common, they just cannot get along. 

Now, as Labour is intent on tearing itself apart before it's even elected a leader, that's not exactly reassuring is it? Do you want a country that is led by a Labour Government that is incompetent, more interested in infighting and unreliable? Do you want a Prime Minister who is always going to be bickering with members of their Government? They are more interested in offering their friends positions for their support rather than coming up with a vision for the country, how the people of this country are going to live within their means, what the younger generation are going to learn at school, if it is safe for people to be out on the streets when crime is rising. It's not good enough, it has to change and there has to be an alternative.

So who is the alternative? The Liberal Democrats? The party hell bent on rushing into decisions like joining the Euro without a single thought for the long term economic impact on this country? No, there needs to be a real alternative, an alternative that can actually make a difference by returning to Government. 

That my friends, is the Conservative Party, the only real alternative. Under my leadership we can and we will form the next Government, but we also need a leader with a vision. 

If you look at Britain now, the country that I love, that we all love, we see families and young people struggling to make ends meet,  crime on the increase, whether violent or drug related, children in school struggling to read or write, more and more people waiting for that appointment at their Hospital. We are living in a society that has been neglected by three years of Labour. Enough is Enough.

I want to see families and young people enjoying life without having to worry about money or how they are going to pay their bills, how you can afford that house. I want to see people feel safe on our streets, not having to worry about a drug dealer walking round the corner trying to sell drugs to a young person, not having to worry about violent crime on our streets. I want to see people being seen quicker at their local hospital, for those appointments that can really make a difference to people's lives, even save them. Britain needs change and we can deliver.

When it comes to families and young people, the Conservatives can help. We will restore the Marriage Tax Allowance, the allowance that this Government scrapped.  We will also reform the Working Families Tax Credit by ensuring the parent gets the payment direct and Widowed Parent’s Allowance as well as Widowed Mother’s Allowances.  We will also take steps to improve maternity pay, helping mothers when they need help the most. 

For young people who are trying to get on the housing ladder, the Conservatives will scrap stamp duty for first time buyers in the first year of the next Conservative Government, I want more and more young people to own their own home, there just isn't enough people who can do that, let's give them the opportunity to do so. 

When it comes to Education, more needs to be done. I believe that the Children are our future, let's teach them well and let them lead the way into the world of work when they are older, when they have the languages and the skills needed that they learnt at school to secure business deals with emerging economies like China and India. Not only will this help the individual, not only will it help the business, it will also improve not only our economy, but will also help relations between us and our world partners. All this, under the next Conservative Government. 

When it comes to Crime, the Conservatives take this very seriously. It is completely unacceptable that crime levels are increasing under this Labour Government and more people are being wronged, it's time to do something about it. That's why we have pledged to increase the number of frontline police, year on year. We have also pledged to cut red tape to allow the police to do their job, not get stuck with that mountain of paperwork that other organisations can handle. 

It isn't just crime that is the problem. The problem is drugs as well. I find it absolutely appalling that drug dealers are attempting to give drugs , even sell them, to children. This just has to stop, which is why we will ensure there is mandatory sentencing for dealers who deal to under 16s, as well as review into sentencing on drug dealing overall. Drugs kill, divide and ruin lives, there is no place in our society for this, with our tough approach on crime, we can get crime levels down and our communities safer. 

When it comes to our NHS, it is time to let the Doctors and Nurses make the decisions about how the NHS is run. Let's take the fight to cancer, with the right funding and the right technology we can improve survival rates and we can save lives. The next Conservative Government will launch a Health Review to examine our NHS to determine what needs to be done to improve our NHS. 

This is the vision I see for our country, I have every confidence that we will form the next Government at the next election but we need a strong leader who can lead us to victory.

There's one thing Labour fear more than anything else: a Conservative party that has the courage to change. So let's give them the fright of their lives. 

We need strong leadership capable of attracting back the millions of voters we have lost to the Labour and Liberal Democrats.

We need strong leadership at Home, a tough approach on crime, standing up for families 

We need strong leadership on the NHS, not afraid to make the tough decisions to ensure patients get better care.

We need strong leadership on Education, ensuring our younger generation are ready for the future. 

We need a leader who can deliver, who can strive for success, who can lead our party to victory at the next election. 

Ladies and Gentlemen, I am the man to do it. 

On August 31st, we can take the first step on the road back towards Government, with your vote.

Let's Build a Better Tomorrow, for Britain. 

Thank you.
Sir Harold Saxon MP

MP for Aylesbury

Thanks given by:
Sir Archie Hamilton, Chair of the 1922 Committee:
Ladies and Gentlemen, I will now announce the results of the election for leader of the Conservative Party…

SAXON, Sir Harold: 160,299 votes
SUMMER, Mr Andrew: 87,025 votes

I therefore hereby declare that Sir Harold Saxon has been duly elected as leader of the Conservative Party. Congratulations, sir.
Andy
Advisor for the Labour Party, the Treasury and Education
Poll wrangler and election psephologist
Scandalmonger

I forget Andy has political opinions. I always just think of him as a Civil Servant in real life - Mac
Thanks given by: