Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Press Cycle #26 - Recall of MPs
"The Leader of the Opposition has, after consulting with the minor parties, produced a bill that would lead to MPs being able to be recalled by their constituents. Is this a good move?"

Ends 14/04/18

Remember to bolden the tagline of your statement.
Idk
Thanks given by:
The ability to recall your employees, because really that's what a politician is, is an employee of the people is very much the same of any other industry. In the private sector, especially the legal field, if you are doing a horrid job and your clients are unhappy, they don't wait 5 years for the chance to fire you, instead they fire you and find somebody else. And so the question is If you can be fired for failing to do your job in the private sector, then why allow MPs who fail their constituents to remain in office? I am proud that the Opposition leader introduced this fine piece of legislation and whole heartedly support it.
"the fagnoglin"  Moray Mac Gill Fhaolain MP Aberdeen North 1964-Present

1973-1974 Shadow Secretary of State for Transport
1976-1978 Secretary of State for Transport
1978-1979 Secretary of State for Scotland
1979-1987 Shadow Secretary of State for Workers and Pensions
1992-Present Secretary of State for Northern Ireland, Constitutional Affairs & Devolution

fmrly Sean Kapur fmr. Shadow Minister of Environment, Housing, and Ag 
Thanks given by:
The public have a right to hold MPs to account when those MPs have acted in a way that would put into question their status as a fit and proper person. An MP who breaks the law cannot expect to represent their constituents when they have shown disregard for those laws. Within strict criteria that prevents this law from becoming a political tool with which to exert political pressure, I welcome it.
Thanks given by:
For too long Members of Parliament have been given a free reign and we have seen scandals, corruption that has damaged the trust in our politicians. In good faith the leaders and represenratives of political parties in Parliament came together and agreed that the right to recall was a positive step towards restoring that trust. The Prime Minister, who initially resisted to joining these discussions by claiming he didn't get the memo, just sat there, said and did absolutely nothing. His lack of leadership and engagement on this issue just shows us all that he is weak, weak, weak and just simply refuses to accept change

I am pleased that the right to recall bill has the support of many parties and politicians in this house, I hope the Prime Minister will turn up and actually contribute to this vital issue.
James Allen

MP for Leeds Central

Thanks given by:
The Leader of the Opposition may have had noble intentions at heart, but he appears to listen to minor parties more than his own backbenchers, as we were not consulted on this, as far as I am aware.

The system, as we have it now, is fit for purpose - what we need to be doing is getting on with the job, and allowing people to make a decision at election time.
MP For Hexham 1987 -
Thanks given by:
Our representative democracy has enabled representatives to make tough choices while remaining accountable to the public. It has served our country well, and continues to do so. Now more than ever we need MPs who are prepared to stand up for the national interest, even when that is unpopular with the public. 

Building trust in politics requires more MPs who are willing to stand up for their principles, not more MPs willing to sell out to avoid a recall petition. I cannot see a situation where the recall petition is used other than as a cudgel to beat MPs into obeying orders from organised groups, even when it is inimical to the national interest.
Conservative MP for Henley (1997 - )

Thanks given by:
What we needed was drastic reform to the way we behave in Parliament. We needed the ability to have a code of conduct. We needed ways of dealing with corruption. What the Leader of the Opposition has offered is the right for a small minority of constituents, who may not be happy with the election result, the right to attempt to get rid of MPs they have never liked. This MP Recall is open to abuse as a political tool, a way of the parties who lost to get their candidate in, and if it is used in this way - what good will it achieve?
MP For Hexham 1987 -
Thanks given by:
This bill requires that MPs be held accountable just like anyone else who has a job anywhere in the real world. To suggest that somehow we must be exempt from critique, from accounting, from responsible is merely the mutterings of politicians. This is a good bill that achieves the best aim of holding public servants accountable to the public. This is not an idle, populist tool that has been suggested by some. It is a surgical knife to cut out the cancer of indolent and lazy politicians who serve their own whims rather than the needs of the people. This is not a club in which to exact retribution, but a tool to fix what is broken when it is broken.
Philip Porter
MP for Orkney and Shetlands (1983-Present)
Leader of the Liberal Democrats (1992-Present)
Liberal Democrats Spokesman for the Treasury (1992)

Thanks given by:
Parliament is easily perceived as narrow minded and stubborn. This is quite simply an image we must work to dispel if we are to restore any modicum of trust in the political process: and if we are to do this, it must be through actions and not words. This bill goes a way to achieving this, and although it is not the be all and end all, it is certainly an important step forward.

Accountability is not a one way street: we must give every opportunity for the electorate to hold us to account; to do otherwise would be a betrayal of democracy.
David Crawford MP 

MP for Reading West 1997 -
Thanks given by:
I don't think the recall feature is the most important one hidden within this bill. In fact, the title of the bill is a bit of a misnomer for good 'ole Headline Harry. More important, and more lasting in its impact here, I imagine, will be the creation of a parliamentary Committee on Standards in Public Life that takes a comprehensive perspective on the standards that Members of Parliament are upholding and practicing in the performance of their job responsibilities. It is from this body that one of the three invoking conditions for a recall petition can be made, but I think it's really getting hidden under the bush here by the Conservative Party when I anticipate it will have a greater impact on the genuine ethics practiced in Westminster.
Dame Beatrice Oona Millar DBE MP FRSE RSA | Labour
Secretary of State for Northern Ireland (1992- )
Member of Parliament for Glasgow Hillhead (1987- )
Member of Parliament for Edinburgh Leith (1957-1959)

Formerly: Parminder Chawla, Joshua Bertram, Lillian Nichols, Gareth Edwards, Andrew Pearson, L Chris Havilland, Mack Aldritt
Thanks given by:
I'm pleased the home Secretary supports the recall bill, although I am disappointed the Prime Minister won't support it. His excuse for not supporting it is because he thinks it's a "bandwagon" that i am trying to jump on. This isn't about jumping on a bandwagon, it's about restoring trust in our politics, the public are crying out for action to be taken and it's the Conservatives with the other parties who are delivering , not this Government.

The fact is this; he claims to have ideas on how to restore trust in politics, yet during the cross party talks he didnt say a single word. 
James Allen

MP for Leeds Central

Thanks given by:
Having spoken on the importance of allowing recall of MP's two years ago I am very pleased this measure is up for debate, and supported by politicians from several parties. We can and must do more to make politics more transparent and politicians more accountable to the voters and this is a good place to start. It is undignified to see the spectable of scandal ridden MP's refusing to resign so they can cling to a small measure of power, and it only serves to fuel the sense of alienation and cynicism from the British people towards Westminster.
__________________________________________________________________________________________________

Listening to some of the frankly ridiculous comments against this particular recall proposal does make one wonder whether MP's actually read legislation before jumping to the floor with a rhetorical flamethrower. Far from being meant to be a political tool of easy manipulation or to attack men of principle, this is a bill meant to recall politicians who have gone through a series of processes to determine unethical behavior, not because you just don't like them. The fight for transparency is a necessary one, and this bill is part of that crucial process.
Rt. Hon. Edward Winter MP / Conservative and Unionist Party
Member of Parliament for Ashford (1979 - Present)

Shadow Foreign Secretary (1992 - Present)
Leader of the House of Commons (1990-1992)
Thanks given by:
Press Cycle closed
Andy
Acting Head Admin
Speaker of the House of Commons
Advisor for the Labour Party, the Cabinet Office and the Home Office
Poll wrangler and election psephologist
Scandalmonger

I forget Andy has political opinions. I always just think of him as a Civil Servant in real life - Mac
Thanks given by:
Labour: 22

You could’ve contributed a little more, the comments here struck me as half-hearted or as not providing the kind of critical eye (even if it’s constructively or cooperatively critical) that would usually be expected of the government when the Opposition has announced a policy. The Tories were their own main opposition here – and when the Tories are their main Opposition without the opposite party also gunning against them, that can weirdly be a good sign.

Conservatives: 28

Well done. Looks like you’ve struck some political consensus and you’re doing really well at bigging yourselves up here and promoting the policy. Too bad your backbenchers had to bite – otherwise the win would’ve been that bit more decisive.

Influence Points Awarded to:

Aubyn Myerscough: “Building trust in politics requires more MPs who are willing to stand up for their principles, not more MPs willing to sell out to avoid a recall petition.” Snazzy tagline, and a good point – that is effectively countenanced by the point it’s not just a petition that gets MPs recalled, but the sentiment still reflects that something deeper has to be done to rebuild trust in politics.

Simon Calvert: “This is not an idle, populist tool that has been suggested by some. It is a surgical knife to cut out the cancer of indolent and lazy politicians who serve their own whims rather than the needs of the people. This is not a club in which to exact retribution, but a tool to fix what is broken when it is broken.” Strong rhetoric and an interesting (if not slightly grim) metaphor that bigs up the policy and deflects from some of the critiques of the policy.

Andrew Summer: “We can and must do more to make politics more transparent and politicians more accountable to the voters and this is a good place to start.” Summer liked recall before it was cool. Summer makes this clear. Summer gets an influence point.
Idk
Thanks given by: