Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Press Cycle #30 – Tax Avoidance
"What should be done about tax avoidance, and any public officials who take advantage of it?"

Closes 11:59 on 17/04/18

Remember to "bolden" your tagline.
Andy
Acting Head Admin
Speaker of the House of Commons
Advisor for the Labour Party, the Cabinet Office and the Home Office
Poll wrangler and election psephologist
Scandalmonger

I forget Andy has political opinions. I always just think of him as a Civil Servant in real life - Mac
Thanks given by:
Question 
Following an article that appeared in the National newspapers about a Conservative MP I can confirm that I have taken the decision to suspend Miles Goring from the Conservative Party with immediate effect. Mr Goring will therefore not be able to defend his seat for the Conservatives at the upcoming election.

I would like to make one thing absolutely clear, the Conservative Party has a zero tolerance approach when it comes to tax avoidance. We will be announcing some policies around tax avoidance in the coming days, it is completely unacceptable and action should be taken to ensure this just doesnt happen.

I can also announce that the Conservatives will launch a review into Crown Dependencies. I have asked Aubyn Myserscough to lead the review this afternoon who has accepted. When it comes to tax avoidance there should be a zero tolerance approach, we need tougher rules and tougher action to ensure that tax avoidance becomes a thing of the past.
James Allen

MP for Leeds Central

Thanks given by:
We live in a society where there are a plethora of ways large corporations can avoid paying their fair share of tax. I say to big business; if you do business here, you should pay tax here because you are benefiting from the United Kingdom's support of your business. It is in the government's gift to close the legal ways big business can evade tax.

Industry workers do not get to avoid paying tax, PAYE tax is taken at source so it is highly unfair for the corporations collecting tax from our low-paid workers to then use legal evasion to avoid paying it. We need to close these loopholes now!
Aaron Pitt MP
North West Durham (1992 - Present)
Thanks given by:
We all know that tax avoidance is an abhorrent practice, however, it is, legal. We cannot make something illegal, and then arrest and/or fine those who had previously carried out those acts. The main problem we have is that many of these loopholes that are exploited are not known until after the fact. We are wasting our time if we chase after loopholes, because for each one we close, another one is opened. We need a general anti-avoidance rule - which makes the actual act of avoidance illegal.
MP For Hexham 1997 -
Thanks given by:
This piece by the Telegraph has only further demonstrated that the Conservative Party is the only party serious about tackling tax avoidance.

Harold Saxon's swift and decisive action not only in suspending Mr. Goring from the party, but also in announcing a review into Crown Dependencies with regards to tax avoidance, is testament to the zero tolerance policy this party operates, and to the way in which the Conservative Party intends to govern this country.

What's clear is this: a Conservative government would act decisively, sensibly and resolutely to end tax avoidance. No bluster, no headline hunting and no hot air: we are a party of substance and consequence.
David Crawford MP 

MP for Reading West 1997 -
Thanks given by:
I am glad that the Leader of the Conservative Party has taken strong action against Mr Goring. If you do not pay the full taxes of this land, you do not deserve to decide on the laws of this land. At the next election, the Conservative Party will present tough new proposals to tackle tax avoidance.

It is clear that the Crown Dependencies are being used by some to minimise taxes incurred, and keep their actions private. This is not a situation that can carry on unchanged any longer. I am glad to be leading a review into the status of the Crown Dependencies and will report back shortly.
Conservative MP for Henley (1997 - )

Thanks given by:
It is a great shame when a fellow Member of Parliament sees fit to so totally subvert the rules that the leader of their party has to throw them out. Not only do these stupid and self-serving actions destroy a man's career but they reflect poorly on all politicians of all colours, backgrounds and political affiliations. Having experienced first hand the maelstrom that such action can create when it is opposed by incompetent politicians chasing a headline without full knowledge of the facts I will not stand before you today and demand answers from the Leader of the Opposition as he did to me when we fired Trevitt I will only say this, Tax Avoidance is a terrible curse on our nation that deprives the Exchequer of billions of pounds worth of funding, whoever wins this coming election will have to work with all parties to close these loopholes and turn the avoiders into evaders. Time is running out for people who take advantage of our nation without paying their fair share, the sooner we can reach cross-party and international consensus on these issues the better.
Alwyn Thomas

Labour MP for Newport West
Chancellor of the Exchequer (2001-????)
Secretary of State for Communities, Devolved Government and the Constitution (2002-????)
Chief Whip (2001-????)

Minister for Housing (2001-2002)
Secretary of State for Foreign and Commonwealth Affairs (2000-2001)
Minister of State for International Development (2000)
Thanks given by:
This is exactly why we need the MP Recall Act. If this terrible incident were to happen during a non election year the constituents may have to wait up to 5 years before they're able to hold their MP accountable for this egregious error in judgement. That is simply unacceptable. So long as power leads to corruption the bright light of democracy must be allowed to shine in the dark places and hold accountable those who commit their power to themselves and not the people.
Simon Calvert
Conservative MP for Orpington (1992-Present)
Shadow Foreign Secretary (2000)
Shadow Health Secretary (2002)
Shadow Home Secretary (2002-Present)

Thanks given by:
While the Conservatives bemoan the tax rates in the budget debate, here is precisely the evidence to prove that the wealthy in this country are not paying their fair share into the country's coffers. We need everyone to chip in, and we need to strengthen our laws to make tax avoidance and illicit financial flows harder to hide. When it comes to Miles Goring, I fully suspect his conduct to be reviewed as one of the first acts of the proposed Parliamentary Committee on Standards in Public Life, hidden within the Recall bill. When it comes to public acts, it is clear that Companies House needs to have more powers to investigate and publish beneficial ownership information for all businesses registered in the United Kingdom. We have the opportunity to leverage new technology to weed out corruption and dark money: now we just need to keep this cross-party political will through the election.
Parminder 'Minda' Chawla MP | Labour Co-operative
Member of Parliament for Islington South & Finsbury (2010- )
Shadow Home Secretary (2016- )

Formerly: Joshua Bertram, Lillian Nichols, Gareth Edwards, Andrew Pearson, L Chris Havilland, Mack Aldritt
Thanks given by:
We must act to tackle tax evasion not only in the UK, but on a global level. It means law enforcement agencies must be able to share information and a global coalition must come together to publish new proposals to tackle corruption, including tax evasion. The Conservative Party has committed to implementing new measures and powers for HMRC to increase prosecutions and recover at least £5bn from tax evasion in the next Parliament. There is no single measure which will achieve this, but through a combination of measures and the determination to bring along other countries in taking similar action, we will be able to tackle tax evasion. One measure we must introduce is a new, simple criminal offence and increased penalties for offshore evaders.
Member of the Conservative and Unionist Party
Deputy Leader of the Conservative Party (2001 - Present)
Shadow Chancellor of the Exchequer (2001 - Present)
Member of Parliament for Beverley and Holderness (1997 - Present)
Thanks given by:
Press Cycle closed.
Idk
Thanks given by:
Labour: 23

Labour dislikes tax avoidance – I’ll pretend to be shocked for a minute. You lost this press round mainly because the Conservatives came out really strong here and you didn’t contribute as much, also, this was a scandal you really could’ve clawed at the Tories for (though it perhaps benefits you that you took the quieter, more mature approach), but chose not to.

Conservatives: 27

Sometimes, a scandal can empower a party or leader instead of hurt them if a swift, decisive response is taken and it doesn’t reflect on the leader – this is what happened here: you took that crisis and shown you’re serious on it and you even threw a few policy bones out there!

Influence Points:

Harold Saxon: “When it comes to tax avoidance there should be a zero tolerance approach, we need tougher rules and tougher action to ensure that tax avoidance becomes a thing of the past.” You responded to this perfectly – thank god for you because imagine if you didn’t. Well done.

David Crawford: “What’s clear is this: a Conservative government would act decisively, sensibly and resolutely to end tax avoidance. No bluster, no headline hunting and no hot air: we are a party of substance and consequence.” This gains an influence point because you’re slowly and, perhaps more important, subtly countering the headline rhetoric, which the Tories really need.

Alwyn Thomas: “Tax avoidance is a terrible curse on our nation that deprives the Exchequer of billions of pounds worth of funding, whoever wins this coming election will have to work with all parties to close these loopholes and turn the avoiders into evaders.” I’ll be honest – I wanted to give this point to Myerscough for being linked to the Tory policy response more strongly. However, a. I enjoyed the subtle shade at the Tories b. This response was, that aside, very mature and interesting from the Chancellor – are Labour preparing for all scenarios? c. ‘Avoiders into evaders’ is a brilliant line, you could’ve just bolded that and it would’ve probably got this point.
Idk
Thanks given by: