<
Communities, Devolved Government and the Constitution

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Communities, Devolved Government and the Constitution
(05-14-2018, 05:18 PM)Emily Kennedy Wrote: Madam Speaker, on a related matter. Does my Rt Hon Friend agree with me that any democratically elected chamber should have the power to scrutinise legislation, and keep government to account? And further to this, that it is absolutely possible to grant the Senate these powers while upholding the supremacy of the House of Commons?

Madame Speaker,

I completely agree with my Honourable Friend when she says that a democratically elected upper chamber should retain the power to scrutinise legislation and keep the Government to account, the House of Lords has some powers in this area, the legislation I shall present to the House shall have at least one other measure to increase this aspect of the Upper Chamber's power. Equally I agree with the second part of her question in that it is possible to have a supreme Commons with a strong Senate.

(05-14-2018, 05:37 PM)Caroline Blakesley Wrote: Mme Speaker,

If the Government is so keen to make this a Senate of Nations and Regions, emphasis on Nations, how will the power of the Nations be resolved in the context of the West Lothian question? Will Scottish members of the Senate have a greater voice over laws the impact only England?

Madame Speaker,

If the Honourable Lady would like to discuss this issue with me before legislation reaches the floor of the House then my door is open to her, I do however agree in principle that we must ensure an optimum balance between the nations in Parliament, whether that be via changes to the structure and power of central government or via greater devolution to the nations and to the regions.
Alwyn Thomas

Labour MP for Newport West
Chancellor of the Exchequer (2001-????)
Secretary of State for Communities, Devolved Government and the Constitution (2002-????)
Chief Whip (2001-????)

Minister for Housing (2001-2002)
Secretary of State for Foreign and Commonwealth Affairs (2000-2001)
Minister of State for International Development (2000)
Thanks given by:
Madam Speaker,

Have the government yet decided on a size for a proposed elected Senate? Assuming that it would be smaller than other place currently, what is the status of the discussions on size and number of seats and have the proper devolved assemblies been consulted?
Richard Ross
Conservative MP for Christchurch (1997-)
Thanks given by:
(05-14-2018, 07:28 PM)Richard Ross Wrote: Madam Speaker,

Have the government yet decided on a size for a proposed elected Senate? Assuming that it would be smaller than other place currently, what is the status of the discussions on size and number of seats and have the proper devolved assemblies been consulted?

Madame Speaker,

Discussions are ongoing as to the size and composition of the Senate of the Nations and Regions, however there are two important factors to consider. The Senate shall be smaller than the current House of Lords and the Senate shall be of the proper size for the chamber it shall reside in.
Alwyn Thomas

Secretary of State for Communities, Devolved Government and the Constitution (2002-????)
Chief Whip (2001-????)

Thanks given by:
Madame Speaker,

If the Senate shall ensure equality among the nations of the United Kingdom, will the Government be effecting change to the devolved parliaments?
Albion Stonewood
Member of Parliament for Tonrbidge and Malling
One Nation Tory of the Old School
Thanks given by:
Madame Speaker,

The institution of a Senate shall not affect the devolved Parliaments in any negative way, there shall be no shift of power from Edinburgh, Cardiff or Belfast to London.
Alwyn Thomas

Chief Whip (2001-????)

Thanks given by: Emily Kennedy (LAB)
Madame Speaker,

If the devolved parliaments of the constituent nations shall not be affected by the creation of a Senate for the purpose of national representation, then what purpose will the Senate serve in legislating?
Albion Stonewood
Member of Parliament for Tonrbidge and Malling
One Nation Tory of the Old School
Thanks given by:
(05-16-2018, 05:58 PM)Albion Stonewood Wrote: Madame Speaker,

If the devolved parliaments of the constituent nations shall not be affected by the creation of a Senate for the purpose of national representation, then what purpose will the Senate serve in legislating?

Madame Speaker,

The Senate shall be part of the national legislature, not the regional or devolved legislatures. It shall be a part of the national legislative process not the regional and devolved legislative processes.
Alwyn Thomas

Chief Whip (2001-????)

Thanks given by: