<
MS: Update on Conflict in Afghanistan II

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
MS: Update on Conflict in Afghanistan II
Madame Speaker,

With permission, I wish to make a statement to the House regarding British Military engagements in Afghanistan.

I am again cautiously pleased to report more success in our mission in Afghanistan. The Taliban stronghold of Kandahar has fallen to NATO coalition forces as part of our strategic mission in the region. Their presence is still felt in the region but within the nation of Afghanistan itself, they have been deposed of power and can be considered only a fringe movement at this time. Madame Speaker, this can be considered a victory in our objective to defeat the Taliban in the region.

Further developments, as part of our mission, means we also have conducted an operation in the Tora Bora region, as I said alluded to in my previous statement to the House. Madame Speaker, this operation was a key collaboration between British, French, American and Spanish forces with our own forces playing a pivotal role in its execution and the gathering of intelligence. Entering this region of Afghanistan had the operational objective of locating two key figures: Osama Bin Laden and Mullah Mohammed Omar, the Taliban Leader. Regrettably, Madame Speaker, I must report to the House that some Taliban forces fled and we believe Omar to be amongst them. We are tracking his location and to reveal this right now could compromise the mission. The biggest development of this, Madame Speaker, is that we achieved the capture of Osama Bin Laden - the man we believe to be behind the attacks on France and the United States. Our mission objective was to capture Bin Laden alive but if this was not an objective, orders were given to the Armed Forces to eliminate Osama Bin Laden. I can announce to the House that British Forces were involved in the mission, during the course of which, killed Osama Bin Laden, ridding the world of danger to global security. This represents a significant victory in our mission to defeat the Taliban and other terrorist groups in the Middle East, to bring peace to the Middle East and ensure that global security is maintained.

The mission was executed professionally and securely by British Armed Forces in conjunction with coalition forces in Afghanistan, and I pay tribute to the sacrifices our service personnel have made. They laid their lives on the line to bring to justice, one way or another, a man responsible for the deaths of thousands. That is why I am pleased to report to the House that were no British casualties in the mission. We have struck at the heart of the Taliban with precision and professionalism, as is the hallmark of our Armed Forces.

By standing united with our allies in this mission, we have managed to make inroads into defeating the concept of terror and I believe the United Kingdom is safer as a result of this mission. We will now continue to focus on tracking down remaining Taliban forces and bringing this mission to an end. This Government will not stop in bringing those who spread fear and terror through violence to justice.
Rt. Hon. Callum Finch MP | Labour Party
Member of Parliament for Burton (1992-present)
Prime Minister of the United Kingdom
Leader of the Labour Party

Secretary of State for Defence (2000-2001)
Government Chief Whip & Parliamentary Secretary to the Treasury (2000-2001)
Thanks given by:
Madame Speaker,

I would like to thank the Prime Minister for his statement on this matter today and his urgency in addressing the house, i would like to associate myself with the comments he made in support of our armed forces, their dedication and their skill in successfully carrying out this mission. It is their dedication to duty, determination and professionalism that has today delivered this good news to the British Public and the citizens of our many global allies, notably among them the United States - the man who having delivered upon them so much hurt having been finally brought to justice.

I would further like to thoroughly throw my support behind the decision to remain in Afghanistan - it is vital that as a country we remain on the path to creating a stable, just and maybe even democratic Afghanistan for the benefit of their own citizens and global stability. The mission is far from over, and we on these benches support the Prime Minister's desire to track down and eliminate the remnants of the Taliban in Afghanistan and their leadership - along with other sponsors of international terror. We will support the British Armed Forces, along with our allies, in ensuring this mission is carried through to the very end.
Dr. Evelyn Lynwood
Leader of Her Majesty's Most Loyal Opposition (Oct 2002-????)
Conservative Member for Altrincham and Sale West
Shadow Secretary of State for Transport & Infrastructure (2002-2002)
Thanks given by:
(05-11-2018, 01:35 PM)Dr. Evelyn Lynwood Wrote: Madame Speaker,

I would like to thank the Prime Minister for his statement on this matter today and his urgency in addressing the house, i would like to associate myself with the comments he made in support of our armed forces, their dedication and their skill in successfully carrying out this mission. It is their dedication to duty, determination and professionalism that has today delivered this good news to the British Public and the citizens of our many global allies, notably among them the United States - the man who having delivered upon them so much hurt having been finally brought to justice.

I would further like to thoroughly throw my support behind the decision to remain in Afghanistan - it is vital that as a country we remain on the path to creating a stable, just and maybe even democratic Afghanistan for the benefit of their own citizens and global stability. The mission is far from over, and we on these benches support the Prime Minister's desire to track down and eliminate the remnants of the Taliban in Afghanistan and their leadership - along with other sponsors of international terror. We will support the British Armed Forces, along with our allies, in ensuring this mission is carried through to the very end.

Madame Speaker,

I thank the Honourable Lady for her comments and find myself agreeing with her and thank her for the support on this issue. It is important to remain mindful of the horrors which took place on French and American soil and continue to protect ourselves and work with our allies to make sure we continue to make the world a safer place for everybody.
Rt. Hon. Callum Finch MP | Labour Party
Member of Parliament for Burton (1992-present)
Prime Minister of the United Kingdom
Leader of the Labour Party

Secretary of State for Defence (2000-2001)
Government Chief Whip & Parliamentary Secretary to the Treasury (2000-2001)
Thanks given by:
Madame Speaker,

May I also echo the words of the Prime Minister in congratulating our Armed Forces, who have conducted this mission throughout with skill, bravery and professionalism; and to congratulate them on playing a pivotal role in removing the jackboot of the Taliban from Afghanistan.

However, may I ask the Prime Minister what steps the UK Government is taking, alongside our NATO allies to ensure that Afghanistan recovers from the atrocities of the Taliban and what is being done to support the Afghan government in ensuring that their country becomes more economically developed? It is a well known fact that terrorism thrives in poverty, but dies in wealth.
Georgina Morely MP
Member of Parliament for Barnsley East and Mexborough (1997-present)
Minister of State for Defence & Foreign Affairs (2002-present)
Thanks given by:
I thank the Prime Minister for his statement. The House will now turn to other business.
Thanks given by: