Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Survey: Future of PolSims
Hey, everyone, as many of you know, I've been trying to have a think about how political simulations work and what we could/should do to change things up, modernize these games, and reinvent them to bring back the spark that once existed in the early days.

To start this, I've put together a survey to try and start collecting some initial data to think about these games. If you are so inclined, I'd love to have input from as many people as possible:

Also, if any of you play on other games (USGovSim, PolCan, Rule Britannia, etc.), feel free to share the survey link with them. It'd be interesting to get a real cross-sample of different player groups (and also as many folks as possible).

Questions and thoughts, post them in this thread. Looking forward to the discussion. Smile
Parminder 'Minda' Chawla MP | Labour Co-operative
Member of Parliament for Islington South & Finsbury (2010- )
Shadow Home Secretary (2016- )

Formerly: Joshua Bertram, Lillian Nichols, Gareth Edwards, Andrew Pearson, L Chris Havilland, Mack Aldritt
Thanks given by:
I've sometimes wondered about the future of forum-based political sims. On one hand, I wonder about the format – I mean, what with Reddit and all that, how many people still use forums like this one?

Another point to consider is the web-based bias. People increasingly are utilizing phones exclusively, and the text-centric style of sims like PolUK doesn't jive well with mobile platforms.

I'm not saying polsims are doomed, mind you. I've often been a horrible predictor. Tongue These are just things I wonder...
Russ Barley
Conservative and Unionist Party - European Research Group
Gosport
Thanks given by:
Sometimes I agree with your thinking, Russ. I think forum-based gaming is struggling, no matter the material. Mobile gaming is becoming an increasingly consuming part of gaming generally, but mobile doesn't lend well to the detail-rich, intensive role playing that typically dominates most polsims. (Indeed, they're some of the most enjoyable parts of the game, per the survey... Wink )

I will put another plug out there for anyone willing to fill it out. I'd really like to get another 5 or so responses to make this something a little more worthwhile than just an informal poll of a sub-group....

Formerly: Joshua Bertram, Lillian Nichols, Gareth Edwards, Andrew Pearson, L Chris Havilland, Mack Aldritt
Thanks given by:
Will we get the results of the survey when completed?
MP for Bristol West

#ANARCHISE THE NATION

(In previous lives: violated a confidence and supply agreement, tried to fight a man on Eton's nine-hole golf course, released a leaflet torpedoing ones own party and was likened to an M&M shovelling money into a fireplace)
Thanks given by:
Yes, in a summary report. I'm not going to release the raw dataset just because I wanted to allow people to feel like they could speak honestly without feeling like their line in the spreadsheet was going to get identified.

Thanks given by:
Thanks to everyone who's taken time to fill this out. It's appreciated and has some interesting results which I'm excited to share. Once working life wanes a bit, I'll do a write up of the results.

Thanks given by: