Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Labour Deputy Leadership Election 1992
Canvassing

1 Hour
1 Remaining

Esther Mathieson canvassed Labour Members on behalf of Moray Mac Gill Fhalain:

A Livable Wage for those who work: Moray talked about how wages were not rising fast enough under a Tory government focused solely on their rich benefactors and how he plans to institute a living wage which will rise as the cost of living rises to make sure those who work aren't having to have 2 or 3 jobs to barely scrape by. 

A Resurgence in Workers rights: The last Tory government systematically repealed and/or destroyed almost every single workers right the last Labour government gave them. Moray discussed reimplementing rights for the working man giving unions more power to get decent wages and working conditions and fighting against corporations and greedy CEOs who try to stop unionization in their companies. 

A Fairer Tax System: Moray reprimanded the Tories for constantly favoring the rich with insane amounts of tax breaks without giving the middle class and working class families the same breaks. He stated he would work with Mrs.Hamstead to create a top-down tax system where the wealthy pay their fair share while the middle and working class families get the relief they so desperately need.
ESTHER MATHIESON MP - Labour Party - Manifesto Group
Labour MP for Birkenhead (1979 - )
Thanks given by:
Canvassing

1 Hour
All Remaining

Esther Mathieson canvassed the Royal College of Nurses on behalf of Moray Mac Gill Fhalain:

A Livable Wage for those who work: Moray talked about how wages were not rising fast enough under a Tory government focused solely on their rich benefactors and how he plans to institute a living wage which will rise as the cost of living rises to make sure those who work aren't having to have 2 or 3 jobs to barely scrape by. 

Supporting Infrastructure: Moray blasted the Tory government for failing to take care of the infrastructure in places like Scotland which now have crumbling roads bridges and buildings because they didn't receive enough money. He also talked about how he wanted to work with the soon to come Scottish Parliament to get better houses ones to prevent situations like the one currently being faced where houses are without power due to flooding.

A Resurgence in Workers rights: The last Tory government systematically repealed and/or destroyed almost every single workers right the last Labour government gave them. Moray discussed reimplementing rights for the working man giving unions more power to get decent wages and working conditions and fighting against corporations and greedy CEOs who try to stop unionization in their companies. 
ESTHER MATHIESON MP - Labour Party - Manifesto Group
Labour MP for Birkenhead (1979 - )
Thanks given by:
Canvassing - 1 hour (1 remaining)

James Mercer went campaigning at trade union meetings around the country in pursuit of the Deputy Leadership:
  • A union-friendly form of OMOV: "Ordinary union members are our ambassadors to hard-working people around this country. I am glad the Trade Union Links Review Group has found a way to combine the best of OMOV with the best traditions of our movement. I want to implement OMOV in leadership elections and candidate selections according to these proposals and give individual trade union members who register as our supporters a vote in them."
  • Empowering people at work: "I greatly believe in the results of the Policy Review and the 1992 manifesto. I was part of the 'People at Work' group which presented a great deal for working people, in which education takes center stage. I am passionate about our plans for the Careers Service and our agenda for skills as a means for working people to keep improving their lives, and I know Agnes Hamstead will not disagree. We will make a great team for empowering working people."
  • Focusing on working people: "I think we could've listened more to the voices of ordinary working people, and that's the secret of our success. Of course you want to hear that we will stick up for the rights of the trade union movement, but that's not enough. You want to hear that your family, your dreams for the future and your services are secure under Labour, and that we'll help you succeed. I am committed to the way we modernised our thinking to put us in touch with the reality of working people again. Through investment into education and into services, through things like childcare, we'll not just defend the trade union movement, we'll fight alongside them to make a difference on the ground."

Canvassing - 1 hour (0 remaining)

James Mercer was out canvassing Labour members in his bid for the deputy leadership:
  • Party unity: "The Labour Party has braved the factional strife of the 1980s and moved united into the 1990s. Now is not the time to revisit the old factional differences of the past, but focus on the modern set of policies we all committed to. I have not publicly spoken to my preference for leader, since I believed I needed to be able to work with whomever won that contest. I will work tirelessly to bring people together behind Agnes and build that broad tent Labour Party we both believe in. There's more in our values that we share than that keeps us apart: helping the vulnerable, advancing working people, working for the many rather than the few and building a peaceful world as the Cold War fades. Let's focus on that and we'll remain united."
  • Keeping the Tories out: "While we've won in 1992 because of our great manifesto, there's more work to be done to build our party's strength. We cannot afford any own goals and slips back into old preoccupations now, but must keep our eyes on the goals we set ourselves, or we risk letting Dylan Macmillan into Number Ten. To do so, we must keep listening to ordinary people, both those that voted Labour and those that do not yet do so. They want us to show that we can combine social justice with economic efficiency, strengthening services with protecting prosperity and creating opportunities with helping those who need a helping hand. Dylan Macmillan will try to tell people that that's impossible. I will join Agnes Hamstead in proudly proclaiming that it is not."
  • Keep building our party: "Our party has emerged from its deepest crisis since our foundation to reclaim its position as a leading force for social justice. But we're not there yet. If we want to win again in 1997 and increase our majority, we must keep the course that Neil Kinnock set for the long run. We must make haste implementing OMOV. We must not waver from the new direction set by the Policy Review. We must keep updating our appeal with a National Policy Forum. I am the candidate in this race that has spoken most strongly to the need to keep that course."
The Right Honourable James Mercer MP | Labour
MP for Sedgefield (1983-present)
Secretary of State for Foreign and Commonwealth Affairs (1992-present)
Shadow Secretary of State for Education (1988-1992)

"And getting our politics right means that in the attacks we make on Toryism, in the policies we put to the people, in the way we conduct ourselves as a Party inside and outside Parliament, we have to have a constant, unremitting, unswerving dedication to defeating the Tories. From time to time I have heard that view described as 'electoralism'. I plead guilty."
- Neil Kinnock to the PLP
Thanks given by: BKI89yVep (Unmasked)
Noah Robinson canvassed various Trade Union members in support of James Mercer as Deputy Leader (1 hour):

On respecting Union Voices, Robinson said: "Recently we have seen the discussion of a One Member, One Vote system being proposed within the party. This doesn't have to be a factional struggle or a power play: it's crucial that this is implemented to empower our members without silencing the crucial voice Trade Unions have in representing ordinary working people across the country. Only James Mercer has spearheaded that sensible solution and compromise as proposed by the Trade Union Links Review Group, giving individual Trade Union members like you that all important vote to direct the future of our party."

On defending working people: "James has consistently proven himself to be a force that puts working people first. He has played a crucial part in the 'People at Work' group which put forward a bold but sensible agenda for working people: a skills based agenda that will allow working people to empower themselves is the kind of practical but radical policy Trade Unions and the Labour Party can fight for hand in hand to ensure every worker is empowered."

On party unity: "Trade Union members know factional squabbling achieves nothing and compromises the real change the Labour movement can make to people's lives. That's why it's important that whoever wins is able to put party unity first. Labour is a broad church and is all the better for it: instead of fighting each other as we have in the past, we must work together to hear a range of voices that will allow us to prevent the best vision for the country and bring our fight to the Tories. It's time to drop the labels of 'left' and 'right' and come together as Labour - and James Mercer is the candidate who can promise to put Labour first."

He then canvassed various Labour members in support of James Mercer (1 hour):

On giving more power to Labour members: "Labour's membership are the lifeblood in the party. Without your subs or your campaigning we would not be in the position to get into government and make radical change to improve the lives of ordinary men and women. For too long members have taken a passive role in the direction of the party - it's time that changes: One Member One Vote has been endorsed by conference again and again and again. It's time to make it a reality and give everyone in the Labour movement a crucial voice by voting for James Mercer as Deputy Leader."

On ensuring Labour continues to listen: "Labour's primary goal is to represent working people. We cannot claim to do that if we don't listen to them. Labour Listens was vital in our recent election win and allowed us to put social justice back on the agenda again. It's imperative we continue to listen and that government doesn't allow us to drift from the voices and concerns of the people across the country we were formed to represent. James Mercer will ensure that Labour Listens won't be discarded and will continue to guide the party to keep us in touch with the British public." 

On putting Labour first: "It's all well and good for Deputy Leadership candidates to flit about policies they've written on the back of a napkin that they'd like to see implemented. But we know that's not the role of Labour's Deputy Leader, and it's insulting to ignore and cast aside the crucial manifesto we were elected on. James knows that the 1992 manifesto will change lives for the better and it has the consent of the British people. His job is to not try and one-up it, but to put Labour first, to give more power to members like you and make sure Labour is a force fighting fit for the next election."
Labour
MP for Hartlepool (1983-Present). 
Shadow Minister for Social Security (1987-1990). 
Shadow Chief Whip (1990-1992). 
Home Secretary (1992-Present).

"I hear you really care about Europe. Well, that's alright, as long as you remember I really care about the Labour Party." - James Callaghan.

Thanks given by:
Jack Galbraith canvassed Trade Union members in support of Angela Harvey for Labour Deputy Leader (1 Hour)
  • Angela Harvey stands for collective bargaining and and strong Union participation in our Economy, she will work to restore the collective bargaining power of the Trade Unions after the divisive and deliberately wrought changes brought about by the Thatcher administration. Angela has long been known as a firm friend of workers up and down the country, she will be your voice within Government.
  • Angela Harvey is the only candidate with the firm credibility to stand up for the Trade Unions within Labour, and will resist any moves within the Labour Party to diminish the role of the Trade Union block vote in selecting the Leadership. The Trade Union movement is a historic and firm part of the Labour Party - it must continue to play a key role in the future of Labour, especially as we return to Government.
  • Working with the unions to re-invigorate British Industry, Angela will work with our new Prime Minister in collaboration with the Unions to provide a plan for British workers which protects jobs and employment - as well as creating new jobs where British manufacturing has been deliberately gutted by the Tory Government.
Rt Hon. Jack Galbraith TD MP Labour & Co-operative
Member of Parliament for Glasgow Cathcart (1979-present)

Secretary of State for Constitutional Affairs & Devolution (1992-present)

Thanks given by: