Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Questions to the Prime Minister
ORDER! Questions to the Prime Minister!
Thanks given by:
Madam Speaker,

I would like to be the first to welcome the Prime Minister her to her new position, and I would also like to extend my sympathies and I am sure the sympathies of the entire House over the death of Neil Kinnock. His absence in this House will be missed.

With the IRA claiming responsibility for Neil and Glenys Kinnock's murders, can the Prime Minister outline her plan to bring those responsible to justice and how the Government will deliver peace to Northern Ireland?
Rt Hon Oscar Hattingly QC MP
Member for Truro
Leader of the Liberal Democrats
Thanks given by:
Mme. Speaker,

I thank the Rt. Hon. Gentleman for his comments and congratulate him on the assumption of his leadership of the Liberal Democrats. On behalf of all members on this side, we echo his comments regarding the assassination of Mr. and Mrs. Kinnock.

Mme. Speaker, immediately on assuming office I directed the Home Secretary to launch a full investigation with the appropriate officials into the assassination. In very short order, details that can be shared with the House will be presented by the Home Secretary. On the second point, Mme. Speaker, details will be provided in the Queen's Speech and my Rt. Hon. Friend, the Secretary of State for Northern Ireland will have more to say. But what I will tell the Rt. Hon. Gentleman is that this government is absolutely committed to securing peace in Northern Ireland.
Rt. Hon. Agnes Hamstead, MP
Prime Minister of the United Kingdom
Labour | Copeland (1987 - Present)
Thanks given by:
Madam Speaker,

Does the Prime Minister agree with the Liberal Democrats that the way to secure peace in Northern Ireland is by accepting that both Unionist and Nationalist sides have legitimate fears and aspirations for their communities, that both sides must come together to renounce violence and secure peace, and that to secure long-lasting peace and an end to the troubles is through shared-decision making and decentralised Government for the Northern Irish people?
Member for Truro
Thanks given by:
Mme. Speaker,

The government believes any change in the status of Northern Ireland must be consented to by the Northern Irish people.
Thanks given by:
Mme. Speaker,

I join the honorable member for Truro in congratulating the Prime Minister on her accession to office, and in extending my condolences on the death of Neil and Glenys Kinnock. I feel confident in saying that this House is united in sadness at this death, and is united in outrage at the perpetrators of this dastardly attack on the Kinnocks. It was not just an attack on them; it was an attack on this entire country.

Can the Prime Minister tell this House as to whether the Government is also investigating any possible international links to the IRA's terrorist attack? It is well known that the IRA, along with other terrorist groups, have received support from certain outlaw nations. Will the Government pursue this avenue of investigation, and will the Government be cooperating with our allies such as the German government which has had its own experiences in combating terrorism of this nature?
Nicholas Wandsworth
Leader of the Opposition (1992-)
Member of Parliament for North Wiltshire (1983-)

Conservative and Unionist Party - Conservative Way Forward

Thanks given by:
Mme. Speaker,

I thank the Member for his congratulations and again echo the sentiments he expresses regarding the assassination of Prime Minister Kinnock.

It would be inappropriate for me to speak to the details of the investigation. As the Member is aware, it is ongoing and the government will pursue it fully. As updates are available, my Rt. Hon. Friend the Home Secretary will provide updates to the House. But I assure all members that we will find those responsible and we will hold them accountable.
Thanks given by:
Madame Speaker,

I wish to reiterate what I said in my response to the Gracious Address and welcome the Prime Minister to her new role.

Madame Speaker,

The Gracious Address does many things, fill me with confidence is not one of them, how will the Government pay for their fifteen unfunded spending proposals?
The Rt Hon Sir Dylan Macmillan MP
MP for Bedfordshire Mid (1983-Present)

Leader of Her Majesty's Most Loyal Opposition (1992-Present)
Secretary of State for Energy 1987-1990

@Dylan_Macmillan
Thanks given by:
Mme. Speaker,

I thank the Leader of the Opposition for his kind words. And I trust he will find many, many years of success in that role as it is one he will certainly be in for some time.

I'm quite saddened to hear his disappointment, Mme. Speaker, as I had hoped after thirteen years and the only gift left to the British people being an unemployed rate double that they were left with, that he would welcome our focus on fixing that. The emergency fiscal update will outline the government's plan in detail, Mme. Speaker, and I look forward to the Rt. Hon. Gentleman's full-throated support when the fiscal plan is brought down.
Thanks given by:
Madam Speaker,

May I first congratulate the Prime Minister on such a broad embracing Speech. Finally the country has a Government with compassion and empathy.

Does the Prime Minister agree with me that the priority this Labour Government has given to the eradication of Youth Unemployment is something to be cheered and not sneered?
ESTHER MATHIESON MP - Labour Party - Manifesto Group
Labour MP for Birkenhead (1979 - )
Thanks given by:
Mme. Speaker,

I thank my friend, the Member for Birkenhead on her congratulations and kind comments. 

I know the issue of youth unemployment is a particular passion of the Member, and rightfully so -- as she said in her comments during debate, I know the impact on the constituents of Birkenhead has been particularly devastating. So yes, Mme. Speaker, I do agree with the Member and I assure her that this government will work tirelessly to reduce the scourge of youth unemployment, and ensure our young people have boundless opportunity.
Thanks given by:
Mme. Speaker,

I rise to congratulate the Prime Minister on seeming to share my view that an economic and monetary union with the European Community is not something to be rushed into.

I would like to know, then, what are the Government's intentions for the Maaschricht Treaty?
Nicholas Wandsworth

Thanks given by:
Madam Speaker,

Will the Prime Minister commit to defend the defenceless people of Bosnia and Herzegovina with military action?
Member for Truro
Thanks given by:
Mme. Speaker,

I thank the Leader of the Third Party for the question. As my Rt. Hon. Friend the Foreign Secretary has informed the House, the government takes this situation incredibly seriously. As the Member Opposite is aware, we've withdrawn the ambassador and will be working with the  United Nations to extend UNPROFOR's mandate to Bosnia.

That said, Mme. Speaker, I will not take any option off the table at this juncture, but my sincere hope is to solve this important issue through diplomatic channels. But we will not stand by idly should this situation escalate.
Thanks given by:
Mme. Speaker,

I rise to congratulate the Prime Minister on seeming to share my view that an economic and monetary union with the European Community is not something to be rushed into.

I would like to know, then, what are the Government's intentions for the Maaschricht Treaty?

(OOC: Second attempt to get an answer!)
Nicholas Wandsworth

Thanks given by:
Mme. Speaker,

I apologise to the Leader of the Opposition for missing his question. I'm sure he can appreciate that, given the lack of questions from his party, I was surprised to learn of one! But in all seriousness, Mme. Speaker, I welcome him to the Dispatch Box and wish him just as much luck as his predecessor found.

I refer the Leader of the Opposition to the Queen's Speech, in which we made clear that the government will enter the social provisions of the Treaty.
Thanks given by:
Mme. Speaker,

I thank the Prime Minister for her welcome and for wishing me "luck." I wish her the same luck that one of her predecessors enjoyed in 1979.

Am I to understand that the Prime Minister would have us ratify a Treaty but with the core of it hollowed out? In other words, the Prime Minister would have us ratify a treaty on behalf of the Social Chapter and nothing else? Does the Prime Minister lack the confidence to propose making the Social Chapter simply a matter of British law? Because, will the Prime Minister not admit that it is unnecessary to ratify Maaschricht if the Government agrees with the Opposition that we reject moving towards a monetary union with the other members of the European Community?
Nicholas Wandsworth

Thanks given by:
Mme. Speaker,

I refer the Rt. Hon Gentleman to the answer I gave some moments ago.
Thanks given by: